Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 282
» Latest member: JustinzeWah
» Forum threads: 2,236
» Forum posts: 22,471

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 269 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 264 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Google, Yandex

Latest Threads
Edinburgh Park Congress
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: JMcNicoll
Yesterday, 04:06 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 499
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
Yesterday, 12:05 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 132
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 153
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 211
Martin B Edwards
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
» Views: 370
Livingston Allegro
Forum: Live Games
02-03-2024, 03:12 PM
» Views: 144
Livingston Allegros and B...
27-02-2024, 11:00 AM
» Views: 233
Perth Congress no details...
Last Post: donaldheron
25-02-2024, 06:03 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 314
John Thompson
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-02-2024, 12:43 AM
» Views: 287
Transfers
Forum: Announcements
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
18-02-2024, 07:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1,315

Scottish Regional Othello (Reversi) Tournament
Posted by: stevenhall - 15-03-2012, 07:31 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (3)

Players of all levels are warmly invited to take part in the first ever national championships for Othello (Reversi) in Scotland. The tournament is organized by the British Othello Federation and is open to anyone living in Scotland or the rest of the UK.

The title of official Scottish Champion will be on offer to the winner, but this is also a very beginner-friendly event. We'll play seven rounds with Swiss pairings and chess clocks. All competitors will receive an official British Othello Federation rating.

The tournament is free to enter and a fun day out is guaranteed for everyone who takes part.

More information at the tournament website: http://www.scottishothello.org.

[Image: SROTposterfin500h.jpg]

Print this item

UK Schools - Last 16
Posted by: Mike Scott - 14-03-2012, 11:03 AM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (18)

James Gillespies will be competing next Thursday (22nd) in the last 16 (or Rd 1 of the National stage - but the former sounds better) of the UK Schools event against Nottingham High School. The match will be played in York, which while significantly closer in miles to Nottingham is only slightly further in traveling time: highlights a major issue with public transport!

Based on the evidence of the ECF grading database, we may have a small grading advantage on the top three boards but a (larger) disadvantage on the bottom three - so almost any result is possible.

Print this item

Karl Gilg as a POW in East Lothian
Posted by: Craig Pritchett - 13-03-2012, 11:15 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk/?p=3348">http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk/?p=3348</a><!-- m -->

I'm not especially hopeful but maybe somebody can through more light on a question than I could, when I recently tried to find out more about Karl Gilg's time as German POW near where I now live in East Lothian. I played against him in the mid-1970s in southern Bavaria. History buffs will know that his most famous scalp was against Alekhine in the mid-1920s.

See the link above and click on the first (and so far only) response to the main BCM website article for details. Gilg probably spent at least 18 months in East Lothian and I'm sure I found a pretty certain reference to a strong chess player who was almost certainly him ... but couldn't corroborate this completely.

I had no idea when I played him that Gilg - then still a very good player and a typically strong old IM, comparable in strength and in his lively, enterprising playing style to the likes of his close contemporaries, Ludwig Rellstab (who got into a Hastings Premier in the mid-1970s), and Kurt Richter, whose life has been the subject of longstanding research by our own CS chess historian, Alan McGowan - had a strong Scottish connection ... he never let on.

It's a small world!

Print this item

Scottish Chess Magazine
Posted by: George Neave - 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (6)

Feb 2012 copy dropped through my letter box this mornign and have to say I was completely bowled over with new layout and production quality. Very impressive!

Thanks Peter!

Print this item

Site Downtime
Posted by: Andrew McHarg - 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM - Forum: Announcements - Replies (1)

All

Apologies for the fairly random downtimes we have been experiencing over the last week (for those of you who noticed). We have been changing a few things and had a couple of problems along the road.

Please advise if you spot any problems.

Thanks
Andrew

Print this item

Magnus Carlsen on 60 Minutes
Posted by: Gerard Blake - 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (3)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7399370n

Look out for Andy Howie around the 4 minute mark

Print this item

Glenrothes congress
Posted by: robin moore - 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (25)

Don't know if Andy is across there with the live boards, but is there any chance we can be updated on the round by round results please?

Isolated in Prestwick.

Print this item

Proxies for the EGM
Posted by: Andy Howie - 09-03-2012, 09:16 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Just a reminder that they have to be with me by Sunday. If you are posting them, I will only accept them if the postmark / email is datestamped before Monday.

Regards

Andy

Print this item

Well done Colin McNab ! British Solving Champion
Posted by: Evis Perdikou - 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Amazing result for the Scottish GM . Did I see a mention of Scotland in that article ?

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7972

Print this item

07/03/2012 - DISCUSSION of C.Sreeves vs A.Burnett
Posted by: Andrew McHarg - 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM - Forum: Online Correspondence Games - Replies (36)

NOTE: NOT FOR PLAYERS TO VIEW WHEN GAME ONGOING

Print this item