Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 372
» Latest member: Seo-Ul-jak
» Forum threads: 2,240
» Forum posts: 22,490

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 435 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 433 Guest(s)
Applebot, Google

Latest Threads
2024 SNCL AGM Minutes
Forum: League Announcements
Last Post: amuir
7 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 82
Andy Howie in Canada
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Andy Howie
22-04-2024, 06:37 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1,162
SNCL Round 9 and AGM fol...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: Glynis Grant
15-04-2024, 10:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 174
Livingston Allegro, April...
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: JMcNicoll
31-03-2024, 10:39 AM
» Views: 183
Edinburgh Park Congress
Forum: Tournaments and Events
28-03-2024, 04:06 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 743
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
28-03-2024, 12:05 PM
» Views: 395
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Views: 250
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 363
Martin B Edwards
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
» Views: 623
Livingston Allegro
Forum: Live Games
02-03-2024, 03:12 PM
» Views: 242

Phoenix simul
Posted by: amuir - 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (4)

They are keen on chess in Birmingham - played and beat 39 adults on tuesday night - my largest ever simul.
5.30 pm -10.05pm

Don't think many simuls as big as this in Scotland

Print this item

Grandparents rule
Posted by: amuir - 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (71)

The agenda for the SGM is as follows:

2. That eligibility requirements for Scottish representation be amended to bring it in line with most sports in the UK, such that “Were either or both of the player’s parents born in Scotland?” is changed to “Were any of the player’s parents or grandparents born in Scotland?”

What way should I vote ?

Print this item

Clock repairs
Posted by: Graham Kerr - 28-02-2012, 11:33 PM - Forum: Non-Chess Related - Replies (8)

does anyone here know of anyone who can carry out repairs to analogue clocks, for a reasonable price?
TIA

Print this item

Prestwick 2012 Junior Saturday
Posted by: David G Congalton - 27-02-2012, 11:31 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (8)

2nd PRESTWICK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT CHESS CONGRESS

May 4th to May 6th 2012

JUNIOR SATURDAY CHESS TOURNAMENT – SATURDAY MAY 5TH

A one day junior event suitable for novices, beginners and juniors who are not taking part in the weekend event. The Saturday Junior Event is one of the new additions to this years congress and it is hoped that the event will give an opportunity to young people in Ayrshire, and beyond, who are interested in chess, to be part of a major event and encourage them to continue playing.

Open to any Junior aged under 16 at 4th May 2012 with a grade under 1000 or who is ungraded. The format of this new event will depend on the number of entries. Trophies and medals will be awarded for the best performances.

Entry fee for the Junior Saturday event will be £5 per person. Chess Scotland members may deduct £2.

The Junior Saturday Tournament will be held on the first floor of the airport’s main departure lounge and just a very short walk from the weekend tournament hall, where top players including a Chess Grand Master from Lithuania will be playing.

The Junior Saturday Venue overlooks the main airport departure area and as it is semi-open we anticipate that the event will create a lot of interest among those using the airport and probably some curious spectators.

The venue provides a fantastic opportunity to bring attention to Junior Chess events and junior chess in Ayrshire and we hope that the event will be well supported by juniors and parents alike. With a good turnout, who knows what publicity and benefits could be reaped from the event.

The 2012 event will be run by David Deary, who is the newly elected Treasurer of the Ayrshire Chess Association. David is a well known face on the congress circuit and it's good to see one of the younger faces taking an interest in organising at a County level and at tournaments. Joining David will be Michael Hanley, the President of Chess Scotland, who in addition to this role, finds the time to organise an extremely successful junior club in Hamilton and take chess into schools in the Hamilton and Bothwell area.

Further details on the Junior Event, the weekend congress and an entry brochure can be found at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ayrshirechesscongress.co.uk">http://www.ayrshirechesscongress.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Print this item

Scottish Chess Blitz Championship
Posted by: Jonathan Edwards - 27-02-2012, 07:02 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (103)

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of organising the 1st FIDE-rated Scottish Blitz. Although it's still in the early stages, I can confirm that after discussions Arkadij Naiditsch (2702) has now confirmed that he will play in the one-day event. The 12 round tournament will be an open with grading prizes at 3 levels.

The event is due to be held on 16th June (16.06.2012) but we're still searching for a venue. Details can be found on the website at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scottishblitz.com">http://www.scottishblitz.com</a><!-- m --> with many details to be confirmed and addressed.

I now need to prepare a budget and I've decided to ask all of you for your input with regards to entry fees.

So please vote, and importantly if you could comment with any ideas or feedback that would be great!

Many thanks

Jonathan.

Print this item

SNCL Rounds 5 and 6
Posted by: Andy Howie - 27-02-2012, 12:12 AM - Forum: League Announcements - Replies (3)

Current standings after play today

Div1
Div2
Div3
Div4

Pics and live games will be sorted out tomorrow

Division 1 title will be decided in the game between Hamilton and Dundee. Dundee need to win or draw. Hamilton need to win. Whole match will be broadcast

Relegation

Greenwood are down
Kingdom Kings have to win to have a chance to stay up (if they only draw the Giffnock need to draw to avoid a play off, Cumbernauld would need 1.5 boards to be safe)
Cumbernauld and Giffnock need to match Kingdom Kings result to be safe
Forth Valley in theory can be relegate, but the chance is remote

Division 2
Ed Uni need a draw to be champions and will be promoted
Ed1 and CSBOS1 are playing each other. Winner takes it all. If it is a draw then Ed 1 go up
Dumfries are down.
For Kingdom knights to stay up, they have score more points than Stonehaven. A draw would keep Stonehaven up. EK need either Stonehaven or KK to not win or get at least a draw

Division 3
Dundee City B Are Champions!
Ed 2 will go up as they need to lost 5-0 with Oban wining 5-0 for Oban to overtake them
Going down are either Pentland Hills, Irvine, Hamilton B or Lanark. There are too many possibilities to work it out. Basically if you will you will in all likelyhood stay up

Div 4
North Ayrshire need a draw to be champs
Forth Valley need to match CS Bos2 to go up

Sensory boards are likely to be covering 2 matches

Dundee v Hamilton A
Ed1 V CSBOS1 as they are the winner takes all matches, will discuss with Donald and Glynis but will either be 5-3 or 4-4

Print this item

SNCL Rounds 5 and 6
Posted by: Andy Howie - 26-02-2012, 12:33 PM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (7)

I am an idiot. I forgot with the website changed the ftp password had changed and spent the best part of the last hour trying to work out why I could not get the games to upload...

We are haveing a problem as the addressing does not appear to be working correctly after the website changes. as soon as I have a link I can give you, i will post it

Regards

Andy

Print this item

Scottish Girls Championships Results
Posted by: Michael Hanley - 25-02-2012, 10:09 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (2)

Primary 5 & Under:
1st Hannah Wallace Holy Cross PS Croy 8/8
2nd Nicola Lynch St Aloysius PS Chapelhall 5.5/8
3rd Naomi McArthur St Anthonys Rutherglen 4/8

Best P5 Jennifer Lynch St Aloysius PS Chapelhall
Best P3 Kelsey Hulme Keir Hardie PS Motherwell
Best P1 Alexsandra Siwiniski Girvan PS.

Primary:
1st Monica Espinosa Girvan PS 7/7
2nd Stuthi Hegde George Heriots Edinburgh 6/7
3rd Lauren Hulme Keir Hardie PS Motherwell 5/7

Best P7 Alexandra Eagles Albyn School Aberdenn
Best P6 Jennifer Lowe Keir Hardie PS Motherwell

Secondary:
1st Cristina Espinosa Girvan 6/6
2nd Caitlin Reid Paisley
3rd Iona Bryson Annan

Print this item

Scotland v Switzerland 1970
Posted by: Alan McGowan - 25-02-2012, 12:36 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (3)

Can anyone help me reconstruct the full details of the telephone match (juniors) between Scotland and Switzerland, played on October 11, 1970?
The Scottish team was comprised of 9 boys (one of whom was David Itcovitz, current Scottish Boys' champions), and one girl (Mary McGinn). The team was based in the conference room of James Robertson & Sons, Ltd., the preserve manufacturers, in Paisley.
Reports in the Glasgow Herald of October 10 & 12 do not give full team lists, although the October 12 issue does give a nice photo of Mary McGinn.
The score at the end of the match was 6½-1½ to Switzerland, with two games undecided. The BCM of 1970, pp 335-6 gives the final score as 8-2, again with no players' names.
The Scottish Chess Bulletin of September 1970 announced the match, but the next issue was September 1971, which did not record the details. I don't have 'CHESS' for the appropriate period.
Iain Sinclair, who has absolutely no memory of playing in this match, has confirmed that his scorebook records the fact that he did play (!), drawing with Peter Hammer.
Can any of the team members' help? Does anyone have a local Paisley newspaper report?
Thanks.
Alan McGowan
Historian, Chess Scotland

Print this item

GM Sarunas Sulskis - Prestwick 2012
Posted by: David G Congalton - 24-02-2012, 11:34 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (24)

Breaking news - Lithuanian GM Sarunas Sulskis (FIDE Grade 2595) has just confirmed that he will be playing in the Open section of Prestwick 2012.

GM Sulskis will also be the main attraction at the Saturday night event in Prestwick.

Further details to follow over the weekend.

Print this item