Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 379
» Latest member: psyxgo
» Forum threads: 2,241
» Forum posts: 22,491

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 526 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 522 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Stuart McKinney

Latest Threads
Dundee Congress 2024
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: Keith Rose
8 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 38
2024 SNCL AGM Minutes
Forum: League Announcements
Last Post: amuir
24-04-2024, 10:26 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 157
Andy Howie in Canada
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Andy Howie
22-04-2024, 06:37 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1,269
SNCL Round 9 and AGM fol...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: Glynis Grant
15-04-2024, 10:04 PM
» Views: 194
Livingston Allegro, April...
Last Post: JMcNicoll
31-03-2024, 10:39 AM
» Views: 192
Edinburgh Park Congress
28-03-2024, 04:06 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 766
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
28-03-2024, 12:05 PM
» Views: 409
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Views: 261
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 381
Martin B Edwards
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
» Views: 642

Magnus Carlsen on 60 Minutes
Posted by: Gerard Blake - 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (3)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7399370n

Look out for Andy Howie around the 4 minute mark

Print this item

Glenrothes congress
Posted by: robin moore - 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (25)

Don't know if Andy is across there with the live boards, but is there any chance we can be updated on the round by round results please?

Isolated in Prestwick.

Print this item

Proxies for the EGM
Posted by: Andy Howie - 09-03-2012, 09:16 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Just a reminder that they have to be with me by Sunday. If you are posting them, I will only accept them if the postmark / email is datestamped before Monday.

Regards

Andy

Print this item

Well done Colin McNab ! British Solving Champion
Posted by: Evis Perdikou - 08-03-2012, 10:56 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Amazing result for the Scottish GM . Did I see a mention of Scotland in that article ?

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7972

Print this item

07/03/2012 - DISCUSSION of C.Sreeves vs A.Burnett
Posted by: Andrew McHarg - 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM - Forum: Online Correspondence Games - Replies (36)

NOTE: NOT FOR PLAYERS TO VIEW WHEN GAME ONGOING

Print this item

07/03/2012 - C.Sreeves vs A.Burnett
Posted by: Andrew McHarg - 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM - Forum: Online Correspondence Games - Replies (72)

Beginning game...

Clement Sreeves:

Arsenal 3-0 AC Milan
Benfica 2-0 Zenit St P'sbg

Guess this means I go first.

1.c4

[Image: 5ebhkx0rbanx.png]

Spoiler here>> I've played Andy 4 times over the board, and the score is 2-2 so far. I had an interesting decision on move 1 already! Normally I am a 1.e4 player, but in that case he would likely play the Sicilian Dragon. And I figured 25 moves of theory wouldn't make a very interesting game... I have experimented a bit in the past with 1.c4 and 1.Nf3, so it's not a total bluff! <<Spoiler here

Print this item

Notice of SGM
Posted by: David Deary - 07-03-2012, 02:33 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (2)

Seeing as I am on a tirade at the minute...

Why has no-one been emailed regarding notice of the SGM? I believe a motion was passed at the last AGM that members would be emailed with the notice of the SGM, the agenda and any motions. :\

Print this item

sweepstake
Posted by: robin moore - 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (2)

I was trying to think of creative ways to raise money for Scottish junior chess when I thought of the sidestake fun route that I have been involved in for a while. For years a friend and I have picked one player per section at Scottish weekend chess congresses and added up their points, winner takes all. Now, before the Gambling commision are called in on a friendly rivalry, would it be ok to set up some kind of organised legal sweepstake amongst ourselves with a view to raising funds? I am not talking ridiculous stakes, simply a token amount but with a percentage of the pool deducted and forwarded to Scottish junior chess. You could have a player per section as we do, highest total wins. Or more interestingly, you could have performance above published grade totals. If there is any interest in the performance above published grade route this weekend at Glenrothes I bags Euan Gray, Andew McCusker and Kai Pannwitz. Please remember, as Sergeant Wilson said in Dad's Army, you have to say "I bags" first,

Robin.

Print this item

EGM
Posted by: Alex McFarlane - 06-03-2012, 12:34 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (41)

There has been much discussion about one of the motions to be discussed but very little on the other.

I am a strong supporter of the Standards Code. Those who are aware of the difficulties I have had with the ECF Board will be aware of my reasons for this support.

I cannot claim that the code is perfect but I have real concerns that the proposed amendments are too drastic and will make the Code effectively toothless.

No-one wants Chess Scotland to be dictating to leagues or congresses but an independent body which looks at genuine concerns (only after local procedures have been exhausted) is a necessary tool.

As has been seen on the grandparents’ thread there is a danger of democracy via the proxy vote being diluted. Unless people try to gather proxy votes for both sides then the matter is won by the more active side rather than the more beneficial.

I would therefore urge people to read ALL motions for the EGM and either turn up and vote or give your proxy to someone. Such proxies can indicate the way you want to vote or give freedom of choice to your nominated proxy. If you are indicating the way you want to vote then you can do so by letting Andy Howie know. This must be done at least 7 days in advance of the meeting.

Since it came into existence I know of no case which the Standards Committee has had to investigate but it is good to know that it is there. I’m not totally sure of the legal position but I have real concerns that the proposals made could cause Chess Scotland’s ability to apply for PGV disclosures to be removed. I do know that despite volunteers being checked for free there can still be an administration fee charged. It costs the ECF £60 to have volunteer arbiters checked.

This issue is too important to let apathy win. Please make sure you exercise your right to vote.
As I am doing the Durham Congress on the day I will be giving my proxy.

Print this item

Malkovich Chess Game
Posted by: Clement Sreeves - 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (32)

Quote:The idea is two high ranked players play out a correspondence game in the thread posting a diagram and their next move but also, in spoiler tags, commentary on why they are doing that and some of their considerations regarding what they see as the upcoming variations in short we get to see the thought process of the player as they play it. Obviously the players don't read each others commentary.

This seems like a pretty cool idea! Is there the possibility of having spoiler tags on this forum?

Print this item