Forums

Full Version: Tromso Olympiad 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
So regarding the issues of transparency etc, what were the conclusions reached at the AGM?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/8269-world-youth-u16-chess-olympiad-2014.html">http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... -2014.html</a><!-- m -->

It's in Hungary - Scottish Olympiad stars of the future could play in this.
?
Alan
The teams in Tromso performed below seeding/ratings.
How can we improve for the future ?
The age group which shows most potential is the under -16
CS should therefore prioritise funds so that we play in the under-16 olympiad this year
amuir Wrote:The age group which shows most potential is the under -16CS should therefore prioritise funds so that we play in the under-16 olympiad this year

no no no
CS should instead concentrate on
a> raising funds so that we can initiate a program to improve the playing strength within Scotland. Funds are scarce enough without depleting them more. I can tell you that grass roots players are getting fed up with paying fees and then getting told there isn't enough money.
b> restructure the entire structure so that improving players can float to the top. There are enough players within Scotland who can challenge the youngsters, the kids should be playing them more often.
c> International selection should be on current form, therefore there should be playoffs etc to determine playing strength and fide rating should only be an indicator as most players don't have a FIDE rating. If a rating must be used, why not the CS rating? One or more tournaments where selection is a prize would give an incentive to both play and to play well. These tournaments could also have potential future stars playing . The international caption could also have a wildcard or one or two selections at most a la Ryder cup.

While I am at it what is CS doing to have more fide qualified trainers. As I see it we can only have one international captain if the new rules are implemented
I was referring to the many issues surrounding the adult Olympiad.

Waiting several weeks past the deadline for selections. Leaking of emails. Self-imposed captaincy. A player being on the selection panel (not an issue this time but in the interests of fairness and transparency this is undesirable) - to name a few. Whether I play in the Olympiad again or not, it's time to stop treating it like a joke.
Ian
We need a volunteer to raise funds. Both CS & FIDE ratings are used for selection. Having more FIDE trainers will require a larger recurring fee every 4 years.

Alan
I agree the ID has a lot of power. Who should appoint the captain ? Who should be the selectors ? Who has leaked emails ? What do you want to talk about first ? The selections were made in good time. How do you want to change the status quo ?
amuir Wrote:Ian
We need a volunteer to raise funds. Both CS & FIDE ratings are used for selection. Having more FIDE trainers will require a larger recurring fee every 4 years.

Alan
I agree the ID has a lot of power. Who should appoint the captain ? Who should be the selectors ? Who has leaked emails ? What do you want to talk about first ? The selections were made in good time. How do you want to change the status quo ?

I'm now worried we have to put every candidate for team captain through the FIDE training program or use the same non playing captain each time we play in a FIDE tournament. I'm almost at the point that we dont play in any more tournaments unless either a serious marketer is in place or a committed (in all senses of the word!) is in place. We are bleeding money and we need to redress this
David Congalton is in charge of funds for titles. No cutting of my budget notified as yet.
May I suggest that some of the last few posts be moved to a more appropriate thread or else we are going to get mixed up.

Alan's posts should remain here.
Posts referring to the U16 Olympiad could perhaps be moved to Junior Chess-2014 International events.
Fide trainer posts could be moved to that link on the Junior chess section.

Hope this is helpful.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44