Forums

Full Version: Tromso Olympiad 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
John
In our phone conversation , you said "we shall just make the best of it"
That is a tacit agreement.
Andy,

It remains true that whoever the captain is (or if we have no non-playing captain) the players will make the best of it. Claiming you thought you had my "tacit agreement" is barely credible when my disagreement has been clear, consistent and explicit.

I do agree that you intend to appoint yourself as captain regardless of the wishes of the majority of the team. Perhaps that is the tacit agreement you have in mind.
John
In our phone conversation , do you remember saying the words "we shall just make the best of it" ?
John Shaw Wrote:Andy,

It remains true that whoever the captain is (or if we have no non-playing captain) the players will make the best of it. Claiming you thought you had my "tacit agreement" is barely credible when my disagreement has been clear, consistent and explicit.

I do agree that you intend to appoint yourself as captain regardless of the wishes of the majority of the team. Perhaps that is the tacit agreement you have in mind.

Andy, it is bizarre that I have to have to quote my own comment, but see above. Sure, making the best of it does sound exactly like what I said. And I am happy to repeat it right now:

The majority of the Open team would rather have no captain rather than have you as captain, but "we shall have to make the best of it" because our International Director intends to appoint himself as captain against our explicit and oft-repeated objections.
John
Please explain to me in a reasonable manner why the majority of the Open team would rather have no captain rather than me as captain.
From a non-biased perspective I would like to add some comments:
Perhaps there are practical reasons but I would have thought the flights would be all booked together. i.e. your picked, accepted and its booked : it should be a given once you accept the invite?
Re captain, it should have been sorted out months ago like the woman’s squad did.
Andy appointing himself as captain in itself is not the issue. Indeed he was within his right to do so an there are clear precedents Funds are also a red hearing – if Andy paid his own way and remained captain there would still be a rejection of the role.
Andy is just the man to follow through with these plans – popular or not. I think he believes he is both right and also has a duty to do so. However there is one crucial difference from other ID captains: there was not the backlash we see now and on the face of it the team (or at least the majority) do not want him in that role. Had it been the other way round and Andy imposed the analyst guy (against team wishes) he would surely have found an alternative that met with team approval- so why not now? I don’t think anyone will hold it against Andy, but for the sake of the team spirit he has re consider or I fear it could be taken out of his hands.
I’ve no opinion on the analyst other than the team seem keen on the idea but some suggest there is a conflict of interest. For the right person conflicts of interest can be managed. In any case if we still have time to change a captain my vote would go to Mathew Turner, if he was available, particularly as he was so keen to play. Seems a better all-round fit to me?
amuir Wrote:John
Please explain to me in a reasonable manner why the majority of the Open team would rather have no captain rather than me as captain.

I'm sure John will answer for himself should he see fit, but in the meantime these words from a well-respected Scottish chess Olympian of long-standing will perhaps give Andy M pause for thought...

"This stuff about the Olympiad is awful - I've played in Olympiads where Andy
M was just a member of the team and still he caused huge amounts of strife
and misery - to make him captain is ludicrous."
amuir Wrote:John

I did attempt a diplomatic explanation in the first email I sent: "I don’t think the role suits Andy’s skills and personality."

I believe we would do better without you because you would have a negative impact on the atmosphere and team spirit. You are not a good captain for this Olympiad team, and trying to impose yourself as captain against the wishes of the majority of the team has strengthened that view.
This is all getting a bit too personal, not very nice to read..

I am guessing a lot of the issues go back several decades, which I can't comment on, however I have played in the same team as Andy Muir for around 10 years now and have never witnessed this so-called "strife and misery" that has been claimed. He may have strong opinions, however I would much rather that than someone who is afraid to express any view.

Seems that certain people have made their minds up about Andy and nothing is going to change that.

Sometimes in life you have to forgive and forget, otherwise there is no hope!
Quote:Seems that certain people have made their minds up about Andy and nothing is going to change that.

Pot.Kettle.Black.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44