Forums

Full Version: Tromso Olympiad 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
amuir Wrote:The only other options at the time were Nikos Ntirlis and Jonathan Grant.

At what time was this? Was the position advertised? I didn't see it on the selections page...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=502">http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=502</a><!-- m -->
I think everyone was too focused on the GRANDMOTHER Rule at that point.
Way back last May when Paul Motwani visited Scotland we talked about me being captain and sharing a room so I was hoping Paul would play. He later pulled out for family reasons. About December Jonathan suggested being captain but when I said I would like to be captain he asked to be Women's captain since Keti was playing. I thought this was a good idea so agreed. I hope he still captain's the women's team but Keti and Jonathan have not booked flights, still mulling things over.
Therefore I did not feel the need to advertise the job. John Shaw, as late as March , approached me asking for Nikos out of the blue, and copied in 19 people for good measure. I responded, copying in another 7 people. It was a committee of sorts.
Meanwhile the costs of flights have risen from £244 paid by me to £285 quote for Alan Tate today and I estimate £500 over budget already assuming no further delays for the 3 people who have already not booked. Do we have a generous benefactor to fund this difference ?
At least David Moyes gets paid millions for hassle. I get nowt.
amuir Wrote:Way back last May when Paul Motwani visited Scotland we talked about me being captain and sharing a room so I was hoping Paul would play. He later pulled out for family reasons. About December Jonathan suggested being captain but when I said I would like to be captain he asked to be Women's captain since Keti was playing. I thought this was a good idea so agreed. I hope he still captain's the women's team but Keti and Jonathan have not booked flights, still mulling things over.
Therefore I did not feel the need to advertise the job..

So to clarify, you thought that because Jonathan had suggested being captain (but could not confirm yet) and that as you wanted to go as the other captain, the position did not need advertised?!
Andy,

I hope I am speaking for CS members here but what the hell is going on? Keti was announced as a team member on the 8th of January, Jonathan Grant seems to have been agreed as the ladies captain yet no flights have been booked (still mulling things over). This is totally unacceptable. CS members deserve an explanation.
Robin, why ask Andy? Should you not be asking Keti and Jonathan?
Robin let me put your mind at rest, you do not speak for CS members
by commenting Hugh cannot moderate this thread should there be a need to do so
At least Andy Muir has been decisive, more than be said for some; He is captain, he has done nothing that has not been done before and done with the best of intentions; Players play, not choose who the captain should be, those who disagree should channel their energies into puttin in a different system (should they get agreement) for next olympiad
David, yes, I did not see the point of advertising the vacancy as I was happy with the combination of myself and Jonathan Grant.
Robin, I feel that Jonathan and Keti are a bit cautious about things and I have asked them to book flights. I think it is up to them to elaborate further on this why they are delaying, not me.
CS council also discussed the captaincy at their meeting on 16 march and the consensus was in my favour, so I do have quite a bit of backing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44