Forums

Full Version: Tromso Olympiad 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
amuir Wrote:I have very many experiences of bad threads, moderators being called in etc.
If anyone has any concerns or wants information, as I have said before, it is better to phone me or speak in person. Misunderstandings very easily get out of hand and the tone quickly deteriorates.
Andy B, please pick up the phone.

Andy, this is not a case of me picking up the phone and things being sorted out! I am only one of many people (including, and most importantly, players) who are incensed by your actions. Please feel free to justify them here - the AGM is too far away.

If this whole situation is a 'mis-understanding', please correct me - I will be more than happy to apologise. You might start by answering the very simple question, which I will repeat for the 3rd time, 'Did you choose yourself as captain?'
Andy B
You are totally out of order
amuir Wrote:Andy B
You are totally out of order

In which case, I'm not the only one am I?

Do you want what is best for the Scottish teams or not? If the answer is yes, which I am sure it is, then why are you insisting that everyone in the squad who has spoken to you about your captaincy is wrong, and you are right?
Andy B - we are never going to agree. I can see that. However I am willing to speak to you on the phone. What is your reason for not wanting to speak to me ? This is a chance to defuse the situation. Do you enjoy conflict ?
amuir Wrote:Andy B - we are never going to agree. I can see that. However I am willing to speak to you on the phone. What is your reason for not wanting to speak to me ? This is a chance to defuse the situation. Do you enjoy conflict ?

Andy,
This is nothing to do with me agreeing with you or not.

Please feel free to comment on the questions/problems/issues which have been highlighted, and to which I am only one interested party. This would be a much better way to defuse the situation - a situation which you personally have created.

P.S. I won't be available for the rest of the day - hopefully you will have explained your actions by the time I get home tonight.
Rather than worrying about how the captain is selected what about the whole selection procedure?

It cannot be right that players in the team are also selectors! In other words selecting themselves.
Joe

Why don't you refer your idea to the Constitution Working Party? Sounds there could be a good idea for change/improvement in there somewhere.

To the others

I think that people should bear in mind that there was only one candidate for the role of International Director that was one Andrew Muir and was duly elected. If people don't like what is being done, perhaps you should look at Section 14 of the constitution and try to do something about it ( I personally would not support any such motion ) to your satisfaction - seems like it getting a bit all to personal though.

Here we have someone doing a job no-one else wants, but out of the woodwork comes people wanting to do things differently and better. Stand for election at the AGM then.

I can accept that some of this thread is about accountability, but is this really the time to create tension in the Olympiad squad?
A fair point Joe makes but in this particular case the vast majority of us are completely in the dark as we have no idea of the possible team.
In Junior International selection, the panel is much larger and if any selector has a close connection with a candidate they traditionally abstain from voting.
JRedpath Wrote:Rather than worrying about how the captain is selected what about the whole selection procedure?

It cannot be right that players in the team are also selectors! In other words selecting themselves.

+1

Jim Webster Wrote:Here we have someone doing a job no-one else wants, but out of the woodwork comes people wanting to do things differently and better. Stand for election at the AGM then.

+100 I had thought this but opted not to post it!
robin moore Wrote:Would it be helpful and acceptable to all captains and players for Andy Muir and Jonathan Grant to exchange roles with Jonathan captaining the Open team and Andy captaining the ladies team?

As a member of the women's team my own answer to this question is no - I am very happy with Jonathan Grant as captain. I also believe Jonathan has the ability to captain both teams (whether he has the volition to do so I do not know) - this would potentially save CS hundreds of pounds and would, as I understand the situation, be more acceptable to the majority of selected players in both teams.

I completely agree with the sentiments of David Deary and Jim Webster that we should be grateful to Andy M for the work he has done so far in his elected role as International Director. However, it is my own opinion that he has made an error of judgement on this occasion - and I don't think Andy B's questions are unreasonable.

Joe makes a good point about the selection process as a whole - there is clearly a potential conflict of interest in having some of the strongest Scottish players on the selection committee. This was clearly why John Shaw abstained from involvement in the selection of the olympiad team. In my opinion this was the right thing to do. On the other hand the captaincy of the olympiad open team was unilaterally decided by Andy M - who has insisted on going himself despite serious concerns being raised by multiple selected members of the team.

I agree with Andy M that things can descend quickly on the noticeboard and I think dialogue is important. However so far I am unclear that things have been resolved satisfactorily. There have been multiple group emails circulating and the CC list has included those selected, potential team members, a couple of the committee and some of Andy's friends and team mates. Ultimately the conclusion reached so far (by Andy) is that the captaincy of the olympiad is up to Andy M and that despite the strong reservations of the team he is convinced of his ability to inspire the team in Tromso and that he will be going.

With this in mind I am acutely aware of the fact that in Tromso we will be there as a team representing our country. I'm proud to be going and hope to play well - if Andy is there as captain and as international director I will have to accept that - and I will propose that in the future we have a clear conflict of interest policy. I also hope that whoever is brave enough to stand for the post of international director is prepared to be accountable to the organisation who voted them in.
See you in Tromso Andy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44