Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 279
» Latest member: TrealdJably
» Forum threads: 2,236
» Forum posts: 22,471

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 389 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 385 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Yandex, Matthew Turner

Latest Threads
Edinburgh Park Congress
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: JMcNicoll
Yesterday, 04:06 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 498
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
Yesterday, 12:05 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 124
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 152
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 211
Martin B Edwards
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
» Views: 369
Livingston Allegro
Forum: Live Games
02-03-2024, 03:12 PM
» Views: 144
Livingston Allegros and B...
27-02-2024, 11:00 AM
» Views: 232
Perth Congress no details...
Last Post: donaldheron
25-02-2024, 06:03 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 314
John Thompson
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-02-2024, 12:43 AM
» Views: 287
Transfers
Forum: Announcements
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
18-02-2024, 07:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1,315

SNCL Tomorrow
Posted by: Glynis Grant - 29-10-2011, 06:35 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (4)

Hi Folks SNCL is on tomorrow.

a) Remember you have an extra hour in bed

b) make sure your whole team is ready and willing to play -- Get them there!!

c) Remember Pay before you play!!

See ya

GG

Print this item

Dunoon chess congress
Posted by: robin moore - 29-10-2011, 05:02 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (5)

Posted on behalf of Paul MacDonald....

When I look at the map of where Scottish chess clubs are situated I am sometimes underwhelmed by the lack of established clubs outside of the central belt. North of Oban is a chess desert, as is the whole area North of Inverness on the other coast. Argyll and Bute has no prescence other than Oban. The difficulty in establishing clubs in these areas is that much of the impetus tends to hang on one individual. Take the example of Lewis a few years back, where a tournament even attracted a GM match between Short and Agdestein. A fledgling club collapsed when the main organiser left to take up a job in England and not much happened on the island in a chess sense, until Colin McNab gave a simul there this summer. In my own experience, I had a small club going at Sleat in Skye in 2003-04, where we once had 16 people turn up to play. Once again the impetus wasn't maintained once I left to take a job back on the mainland.

As someone who spent a lot of his childhood in a remote West Highland community I realise how difficult it is for local communities to kickstart activities and when a community council approaches me for help in getting a chess-related event going then I'll do my best to help them and hopefully help chess in Scotland.

My work with a Gaelic-language organisation has put me in touch with the local community council in Dunoon, a few of whose members have made me aware of the existence of a chess club in its infancy. Currently boasting 10 members (4 of whom are juniors...all absolute beginners.) they meet in a private house once a week, mainly for off the cuff matches and an informal 'club championship'.

They have however become aware of the success of the annual Congress in Oban, which although well over an hour away is seen as a local town, To cut a long story short, I've been asked to help make a chess congress in Dunoon happen. The venue would almost certainly be the Burgh Hall, a 10 minute walk from the Pier and right in the midst of the shops, pubs, restaurants and hotels, The Burgh Hall is a lovely, striking Victorian building with a huge hall probably easily capable of hosting 25-30 boards. Because local contacts are well in the loop with the Hall administrators and the town are keen to have this venue used more often I'm certain that we would get a fantastic deal on a weekend hire.

Opinions please?

Regards

Paul.

Print this item

Chess For Kicks Edinburgh Live games
Posted by: Andy Howie - 29-10-2011, 10:08 AM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (1)

Link for all games today

http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/C...ve/tfd.htm

7 Rounds

Print this item

Edinburgh - Chess for Kicks - this Saturday
Posted by: Jacqui Thomas - 27-10-2011, 05:59 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (2)

Reminder that this Saturday is the Edinburgh (East of Scotland) qualifying heat for the Chess for Kicks junior event. For those that dont know, all the Chess for Kicks heats are standalone tournaments with trophies & medals as prizes for each section. The top players qualify to take part in the National Chess for Kicks Finals in June 2012. Please note we have a Novice section for ungraded & those graded U300 as well as sections for more experienced junior players - please see entry form. Sections will be looked after by qualified/experienced arbiters & clocks will be used.

Venue
St Catherine’s Church Hall,
2 Captains Row, Gracemount,
Edinburgh,
EH16 6QP

entry form can be found on calendar or email <!-- e --><a href="mailtoConfusedjc@uwclub.net">sjc@uwclub.net</a><!-- e --> with your entry or for more details or ring Michael on 01698 850303

To date we have a disappointing entry of 10 from the Edinburgh area & those are from juniors that we had direct contact details. Can all junior chess club organisers & coaches please make their juniors (& their parents) aware that the event is taking place. IF the entry does not improve this years event will go ahead irrespective but any future ones will be uncertain.

Print this item

GM Colin McNab - Master Games
Posted by: Andy Howie - 27-10-2011, 12:00 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (1)

Chess Event

Glasgow Polytechnic Chess Club
Wellington Church, 77 Southpark Avenue
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~daw/Poly/">http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~daw/Poly/</a><!-- m -->

Grand Master Colin McNab will demonstrate some master games on Thursday 17 November 2011 at 19:30. This special event is also open to non-members of Polytechnic at a nominal fee (£3). It would be helpful but not essential for non-members to contact our Secretary in advance at <!-- e --><a href="mailtoBig Grinairena.gaffney@glasgow.ac.uk">Dairena.gaffney@glasgow.ac.uk</a><!-- e --> so that we have an idea of numbers.

Print this item

SNCL Fixture List
Posted by: Glynis Grant - 24-10-2011, 09:56 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (2)

That Andy is at it again!!!

The practical joker has done the fixture list and has posted it on the SNCL website. Ignore the fact that he has titled it 2010-11 fixtures. If you click on the divisions it is this seasons teams (I know that as I checked Div 4 and the new teams are there so I am assuming the other divisions have been done!!!)

To get to the website, go to CS website, main menu, click on leagues and then scroll down to SNCL, click website.

We have 32 teams this year -- Perfect!!!!

Andy thank you very much for doing the fixtures.

GG

Print this item

European Senior Team Championship
Posted by: amuir - 24-10-2011, 01:13 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (20)

This will take place in Rogaska Slatina, Slovenia from 26th March until 5th April 2012. If there is sufficient interest Chess Scotland will send two or even three teams.
Players must pay their own costs. In 2010, Scotland finished 10th and in 2011 they finished 11th. .
Entitled to participate are men who have reached the age of 60 years and women who have reached the age of 50 years, by 1st January 2012."
If you are definitely available to play, please contact Andrew Muir by 15 December 2011

Print this item

U16 Olympiad
Posted by: Mike Scott - 23-10-2011, 07:17 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (79)

Good luck to the Scottish U16 team:-
Andrew Mc.
Shivan M.
Ali R.
Sam G.

That is playing in the U16 Olympiad in Turkey over the next two weeks.

http://wyco2011.tsf.org.tr/

Print this item

Live games next week (W/c 24th October)
Posted by: Andy Howie - 23-10-2011, 09:29 AM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (1)

Plan is to show 4 boards at the Chess for Kicks on Saturday then 8 board at the SNCL on Sunday

Print this item

SNCL Fixtures
Posted by: Andy Howie - 23-10-2011, 09:15 AM - Forum: League Announcements - Replies (1)

Are available on the SNCL website

Print this item