Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Council election - Hamilton players
Derek Howie Wrote:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Ironically I think unionist Rangers fans are far more anti-English than any nationalists are.
In what way are Rangers supporters anti-English?

That's the most ridiculous thing said on this thread and that's saying something!

That's the point I was making, they aren't particularly anti-English, but are far more so than the SNP are. My viewpoint being based on the fact that almost every Rangers supporter I know wants England to lose every international football match they play, yet I want England to win generally speaking (unless they are playing against Scotland). Big Grin
Let's just agree to disagree Angus. =)

I do understand your point of view. Not only are many of my family members English, many of them are unionists too. I have debated with them on similar points, and it all just comes down to opinion at the end of the day. ;P
I suspect the growing presence of the SNP has little to do with a real increase in a desire for independence, more a real statement of dissatisfaction with the other political parties and their records in office. Plus no other party in Scotland has a leader with the charisma and blustering, diversionary powers of Salmond; until they put up credible leaders who can stand toe to toe with him, they will struggle.

Labour - dominated the Scottish political scene since the 1960s, been in office locally for many years, nothing much seems to have improved, certainly in the areas I've lived in. In many places it's actually worse.

Conservative - Scotland historically had a healthy Conservative return which started to diminish in the 1960's, however Thatcher hoisted her own (and every subsequent Tory leader's) petard with the Poll Tax. Our memories are long.

Lib Dems - Stronger in Scotland in certain areas, but the coalition has rendered them up onto the ash heap of history (for some time I suspect, particularly in Scotland).

SNP - can't knock some of their achievements within Holyrood. They've actually made some good things happen. But their primary fundamental raison d'etre is not for me.

It is obviously a matter of personal opinion, and that's why we all have a vote. I'll be voting no as I don't believe we grow stronger by moving apart.
In order to bring some balance, I support the LibLabCon Alliance Party though would consider voting for the Monster Raving Looney party. I also believe that as well as Rangers supporters being anti-English, Celtic supporters are anti-Irish. For total equilibrium Morton supporters are anti-Paisley.
I also believe that Edinburgh Lib-Dems are now anti-penguin!

Can we have a "not chess" area where this sort of stuff can be posted?
Alex McFarlane Wrote:Can we have a "not chess" area where this sort of stuff can be posted?

There is a non-chess related forum, but us unruly posters seem to hijack the chess threads rather than start a new topic. Big Grin
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
If independence meant we got Still Game repeats on endlessly on BBC1 I'd vote yes - watching them on youtube - brilliant!
Given how far away from chess this topic has become, I am moving it to the correct forum

All I am going to say on the matter is Alba Gu Bra!

Kipling got it spot on

"If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,"
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Ironic that Kipling's poem is supposed to represent the so-called British stiff upper lip!

And he was right, no question.
Quote:Re: Scottish Council election - Hamilton players

by Andy Howie » Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Given how far away from chess this topic has become, I am moving it to the correct forum

All I am going to say on the matter is Alba Gu Bra!

Kipling got it spot on

"If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,"

And didn't you just do that Andy.

I guess you reckon it started off as a Chess related thread!!

It's you who should be be upholding correct Standards here.

And yes, Patriotism is being twisted by 'Nationalists' for their own political aims.
Quote:Let's just agree to disagree Angus.

I do understand your point of view. Not only are many of my family members English, many of them are unionists too. I have debated with them on similar points, and it all just comes down to opinion at the end of the day.

Allthough I appreciate your right to your opinion and you accept my right to state mine it is about more than opinion.

You didn't answer the question. 'Why so Anti British' if you are not Anti English?

So you have got family members who are English (Like Mike Russell I was born in England)
We both have friends who are English. but Nationalists say it's far better to create Division and break a Union with people we are supposedly related to and friends with. It doesn't add up other than the flag waving and slogan chanting has addled some brains along the way.