Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Council election - Hamilton players
More overt promoting of their political views by directors of Chess Scotland.
Will an independent Scotland welcome English players to the Scotland team as players or captains? Tongue
Only if they have a Scottish passport :p
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quote:Andy Howie ยป Tue May 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Only if they have a Scottish passport :p
Which highlights quite nicely why all this 'nationalist' huff and puff has no rhyme or reason.
We should all give ourselves back to the BCF and not bother with international chess since we aren't one really.....
Douglas Bryson Wrote:We should all give ourselves back to the BCF and not bother with international chess since we aren't one really.....

I would second that...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Quote:We should all give ourselves back to the BCF and not bother with international chess since we aren't one really.....

No! Scotland has a long history of having a representative Chess team whilst the former BCF existed.

Eligibility for playing for any national team is becoming an issue throughout the World as the world quite naturally becomes more interconnected.

As a proud Scot who can trace his Scottish ancestory back for hundreds of years without any ancestor being born outwith Scotland it's good to see Scotland have a representative National team. Something which hasn't been effected previously by Scotland being a Nation within a Union of Nations.

Fortunately I don't think we'll ever have to find out if somebody others classify as 'English' will have to have a 'Scottish' passport to be able to play for Scotland allthough clearly they would be 'Scottish' if they had a 'Scottish' passport and could no longer be called 'English' anyway.
Angus,

You know our views differ here but they are surely better than a "huff and puff" party (nearly wrote pastry there). The Scottish people voted to give them an overall majority in the Scottish parliament. Fair's fair,

Robin.
Robin,

The 'huff and puff' I referred to is Chess Scotland Directors who happen to be 'Nationalists' promoting their views on the Chess Scotland forum. I'd guess that the majority of Chess Scotland members arn't Scottish Nationalist supporters. I don't note the supporters or other parties huffing and puffing about their views on the 'Chess' Scotland noticeboard.

Fair's fair!
Ok pal,

You have got me there! You of course realise the same as me that you need a big pinch of salt handy on this forum. No doubt this topic will arise again many times in the next couple of years. The question that needs to be asked is...

"Will Scottish chess benefit if we are an independent nation?".

Of course, my political views are well known here but there can be no doubt that the SNP regime are prepared to consider policies which many find socially very acceptable. Will they be able to keep funding them though post independence?

Robin.