Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Scottish?
2-3 months in advance would be good but maybe even earlier is necessary. People often plan their summer chess tournaments very early on. An Olympiad place for the national champion is a good idea and not uncommon in other countries.
AndrewGreen Wrote:2-3 months in advance would be good but maybe even earlier is necessary. People often plan their summer chess tournaments very early on. An Olympiad place for the national champion is a good idea and not uncommon in other countries.

Agreed. In fact I booked my 2 week summer vacation a week before this event was announced Sad 3 weeks off in 5 is very hard to justify for me. A chance to play a bunch of titled players would have made it worth serious consideration but about a month back, with no evidence this was going to happen, I had to give up the idea. Personally disappointing to miss out on a Scottish on my door step but that's how it is unfortunately. Next time hopefully. Still looking forward to watching. It is a great venue. Not sure why we have not got same sort of entry as happened when it was in City Chambers. Feels very similar in terms of venue quality and being in the capital which, of course, makes it much more attractive especially to players from outside of Scotland.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/csinfo/agm2006.htm">http://www.chessscotland.com/csinfo/agm2006.htm</a><!-- m -->

"MEMBERS' MATTERS

Three items had been validly put forward for discussion by members.

(a) G Neave proposed that when selecting an Olympiad team the Scottish champions of the current and previous year should automatically be offered a place in the team. After considerable discussion a vote on the motion resulted - for 1, against 24, abstentions 6."

The voting here was somewhat biased after Jacob Aagaard, the then International Director, indicated he would step down if the motion was carried. A new motion may result in at least a much closer vote.
Douglas Bryson Wrote:http://www.chessscotland.com/csinfo/agm2006.htm

"MEMBERS' MATTERS

Three items had been validly put forward for discussion by members.

(a) G Neave proposed that when selecting an Olympiad team the Scottish champions of the current and previous year should automatically be offered a place in the team. After considerable discussion a vote on the motion resulted - for 1, against 24, abstentions 6."

The voting here was somewhat biased after Jacob Aagaard, the then International Director, indicated he would step down if the motion was carried. A new motion may result in at least a much closer vote.

Scots back down to Dane - where were the nationalist that day I wonder? :p OK. Maybe I'm in minority but i am getting used to that since the general election Sad Doesn't mean I am wrong though Big Grin

btw - what's your story Mr Bryson - why are you not playing?
6 Grandmasters Entered & European Champion

There are now 6 GMs entered the Championships. These are Keti Arakhamia-Grant, Jacob Aagaard and Colin McNab. In addition also entered are Ivan Farago, Oleg Korneev and Erik van den Doel.

We also have the European Over 65 Champion entered in Jan Rooze. Other IMs entered are Roddy McKay and Craig Pritchett.
Defending Champion Alan Tate FM is also entered.

There will be a bookstall on the final weekend from Chess Essentials.

Website updated but list of entries is not complete at this point.
Alex McFarlane Wrote:6 Grandmasters Entered & European Champion

There are now 6 GMs entered the Championships. These are Keti Arakhamia-Grant, Jacob Aagaard and Colin McNab. In addition also entered are Ivan Farago, Oleg Korneev and Erik van den Doel.

We also have the European Over 65 Champion entered in Jan Rooze. Other IMs entered are Roddy McKay and Craig Pritchett.
Defending Champion Alan Tate FM is also entered.

There will be a bookstall on the final weekend from Chess Essentials.

Website updated but list of entries is not complete at this point.

That's great news Alex. I'm sure there are good reasons but out of curiosity, how come this could not be confirmed sooner?
I agreed with George that the Champion should get a seat on the Olympiad boat.

There is a forum out there somewhere floating about in hyper-space with
Jacob and me having a merry ding-dong about it.

Did I just say a Boat?

Yes a boat. It's plan A.

Usually the team meet at the airport. Arrive one hour later at their destination.
Next day they are playing some guy they are in awe of and lose.

Plan A.

We pile on a boat and are at sea for 6 weeks prepping up for this one event.
We build up team moral and to get their heads right we look at the games of
the players we use to hold in awe. I've looked at their games. They are OK but
not what I would call good. Capablanca was good.

Expense. No Expense. We actually save and make money.

First of all the team can sleep on the boat so no hotel expenses and on the return trip
we can fill the cargo holds with illegal immigrants (we drop them off at some place in England.)

Sorted.
If you give the Scottish Champion an automatic Olympiad place you really need a proper tournament for the Championship, due to the draw vagaries in big opens.

A person can't be illegal...but apart from that, :-) Geoff
Where is the forum you're ding-donging in?
Hi Walter,

I've no idea what happened to it. It all ended in a friendly way.

The majority voted against it so that ended that one.

I've seeing on other forums players complaining about the cost of entering
the tournament. £100 is a lot of money This is on the Red Hot Pawn forum.

"Coming up is the the 122nd Scottish open championship. I take a look at the official site and with squinting eyes I quickly glance at the entry form. Perhaps for unrated patzers there is a section where i can go, pay forty quid, get my butt kicked and go and see some works of art in the National portrait gallery?

but nooooo, they want £90-100 entry fee and a membership for Scotland chess. I quickly calculate, 9 rounds, nine days off work, hmmm, 100 pound entry fee, diesel to Edinburgh and back in my gas guzzling truck and before I know it I am down roughly a grand just to get my A$$ kicked by some GM or IM who doesn't need to pay a single bean to get in! Clearly the Scottish open is not for me and the costs are simply prohibitive. Oh well so much for chess in Scotland."

Been thinking of a counter argument but cannot come up with anything.

The suggestion that he could recoup his loss by winning one of the minor sections has
been thwarted by someone else saying the minor sections are haunted by sandbaggers.
Totally agree Geoff

Entry fee is way too high and it is frustrating to see budget getting spent on appearance fees for non-Scottish GMs/IMs who win all the prizes anyway!

The fact the Scottish Champion is not even guaranteed an Olympiad place still strikes me as bizarre, then again the whole concept of having a Scottish Championship contested in an event open to anyone of any nationality completely devalues the title.