Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Scottish?
JRedpath Wrote:Totally agree Geoff

Entry fee is way too high and it is frustrating to see budget getting spent on appearance fees for non-Scottish GMs/IMs who win all the prizes anyway!

The fact the Scottish Champion is not even guaranteed an Olympiad place still strikes me as bizarre, then again the whole concept of having a Scottish Championship contested in an event open to anyone of any nationality completely devalues the title.

Unless you have a mix of nationalities you don't get norm chances.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Alan Jelfs Wrote:
JRedpath Wrote:Totally agree Geoff

Entry fee is way too high and it is frustrating to see budget getting spent on appearance fees for non-Scottish GMs/IMs who win all the prizes anyway!

The fact the Scottish Champion is not even guaranteed an Olympiad place still strikes me as bizarre, then again the whole concept of having a Scottish Championship contested in an event open to anyone of any nationality completely devalues the title.

Unless you have a mix of nationalities you don't get norm chances.

I think you do, if it's a national championship.
Provisional Draw now published on the website.
JRedpath Wrote:Entry fee is way too high and it is frustrating to see budget getting spent on appearance fees for non-Scottish GMs/IMs who win all the prizes anyway!

If only the BCF had awarded you the FM title like they were meant to all those years ago, Joe.
Not really sure what that is supposed to mean, but completely irrelevant! I do not believe titled players should get appearance fees as well as free entry in such events and my view wouldn't change even if I had a title!

Would rather see larger prizes and such players rightly rewarded for doing well.
The IMs might, but I doubt any GMs would turn up if they didn't get conditions. Too much risk. Even 2700s struggle to make a living these days.
Alan Tate Wrote:The IMs might, but I doubt any GMs would turn up if they didn't get conditions. Too much risk. Even 2700s struggle to make a living these days.

There was an article by Vallejo Pons about this recently, saying 2600-2720 were lost in the wilderness of not being good enough for super tournaments, and also not having many options for events that they could make a living from.

I think money has to go to getting titled players involved, because it allows norms, and a better tournament to watch and take part in. Looking forward to some of the tasty pairings tomorrow with them!
Alan Tate Wrote:
JRedpath Wrote:Entry fee is way too high and it is frustrating to see budget getting spent on appearance fees for non-Scottish GMs/IMs who win all the prizes anyway!

If only the BCF had awarded you the FM title like they were meant to all those years ago, Joe.

We are still trying to get it
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
On the way home last night, my wife was having a go at me about us paying titled players to play. As I explained to her, if you want a tournament that produces norms, you need GMs. GMs cost money. I want the Alan Tates, Clement Sreeves, Andy Burnetts and others of this world to have the chance to get their IM norms and move on to IM (and hopefully GM). We have the younger players coming through Kai, Murad to name a few. Look at Jonathan McKay who is going great guns at the moment. They need these opportunities and I hope we are able to support the Scottish for years to come.

Are we really saying that £60 for 9 days play is too high? It only increases if you didn't enter before the early cut offs! You'll pay that for 90 minutes of entertainment at an EPL game. Personally I think Alex should be congratulated for keeping the costs down while still bringing in GMs and IMs.

The reality is we get chess on the cheap in Scotland. John Dempsey and I were talking years ago at Sams shop about this and he was right. We are happy to put up with lower prizes because we complain at the cost of entry. It has taken a good 7 years from John's forward thinking of charging £25 for Glasgow to become the norm! (and we are hoping to get Glasgow going again next year, watch this space!!).
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quick question. Why is the Scottish just one open event these days when previously there were three events?