Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Gilbert international Announcements
from Jim webster

Following the Management Board meeting on Wednesday 11th April the Glorney Gilbert Festival is under the auspices of the Management Board with Ian Brownlee organizing the day to day administrative duties. Ian will report directly to the Management Board. Andy Howie shall provide additional support to Ian in this undertaking.

Team coaches are allocated to the various groups and selectors have been identified. The coaches are already working on this and carrying out a planned strategy

Final selection invitations will be sent out in the Middle of May with the team announcement on June 1st.

Team selecting are in their final stages and formal invitations will be issued as soon as the selections are complete. We shall announce the final teams when all invitees have replied to their invitation and team teams are finalised.

There are two training days with a possible 3rd day in June once the team is assembled. Invites are already out on this. It is appreciated that this team is getting support from the chess playing community in Scotland.

Jim Webster
Chess Scotland President

At the 2017 ChessScotland agm Fiona Petrie was voted as International Junior Director by CS members. One of the main roles as IJD is organising the Glorney. Has Fiona resigned?
(16-04-2018, 03:01 PM)robin moore Wrote: At the 2017 ChessScotland agm Fiona Petrie was voted as International Junior Director by CS members.  One of the main roles  as IJD is organising the Glorney.  Has Fiona resigned?

"Has Fiona resigned?"   No.

There are considerable logistics involved in hosting the Glorney: -

1. Venue
2. Accommodation and eating arrangements
3. Arbiters

- that's the hosting logistics, or at least the basic ones

4. Squad selection, invites, trainers, coaches, final team selection and even chaperones
5. Training sessions
6. Finances

- that's just the Scotland squad

7. Invites to participating nations
8. Logistics for arranging team arrivals/departures
9. Transport to/from airport or coach parking at venue

- and that's the international basics to welcome 5 other nations to Scotland!

I'll stop at 9!!

Any offers of help? Contact Ian Brownlee - I'm sure he would be more than willing to listen to what any one has to offer. What we really need is support here.

The management board held a meeting and made decisions for the best of all involved and to apportion workloads that tries to alleviate this rather place large burden on one individual. People, Fiona included, have a right to some private life - and hold down a job as well.
Thanks Jim. I don't know what definite commitments have been made regarding accommodation for Scotland players but would it be worth considering asking for local persons to put them up in order to help finances? PVG clearance may be an issue here obviously. However, as my partner and I have enhanced PVG clearance I would be happy to have two of the squad stay at my house and I will run them to and from the venue each day.
(16-04-2018, 08:07 PM)robin moore Wrote: Thanks Jim. I don't know what definite commitments have been made regarding accommodation for Scotland players but would it be worth considering asking for local persons to put them up in order to help finances? PVG clearance may be an issue here obviously. However, as my partner and I have enhanced PVG clearance I would be happy to have two of the squad stay at my house and I will run them to and from the venue each day.

thanks you Robin but no. As part of the child protection policy and overall general security during the Glorney all children will be chaperoned,supervised and housed in the halls of residence.
Andy Howie wrote
"Matthew, the intention was to announce all the teams for all the federations simultaneously. We are waiting for 1 response from the other Scottish teams (Stokes team if I remember correctly), we also have a FIN to get for one of the players from another federation"

I think that is a considerable step forward for the Glorney making it easier to prepare and thereby improving the quality of the games and the stature of the event.
The Scottish teams have been announced, but no word yet on the other sides

https://www.chessscotland.com/news-post/...8-updates/
The Gilbert, Robinson and Stokes teams will find things extremely tough but the best of luck to them. Is this three day Paisley event worth spending the budgeted £6250 (so far) of CS members money?
(26-06-2018, 10:43 AM)Matthew Turner Wrote: The Scottish teams have been announced, but no word yet on the other sides

https://www.chessscotland.com/news-post/...8-updates/

All have been published simultaneously  Team Lists
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"