Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 275
» Latest member: huzumadoarie
» Forum threads: 2,236
» Forum posts: 22,471

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 367 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 363 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Yandex

Latest Threads
Edinburgh Park Congress
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: JMcNicoll
7 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 482
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
11 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 101
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 152
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 211
Martin B Edwards
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
» Views: 363
Livingston Allegro
Forum: Live Games
02-03-2024, 03:12 PM
» Views: 144
Livingston Allegros and B...
27-02-2024, 11:00 AM
» Views: 231
Perth Congress no details...
Last Post: donaldheron
25-02-2024, 06:03 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 313
John Thompson
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-02-2024, 12:43 AM
» Views: 285
Transfers
Forum: Announcements
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
18-02-2024, 07:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1,311

Lothians congress/Dalguise
Posted by: robin moore - 30-09-2011, 05:44 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (35)

Just to let everyone know that Paul MacDonald, Phil Thomas and I will be doing a bit of a tour tomorrow starting off with the Lothians congress till after lunch, then heading up to Perthshire to Dalguise. We obviously want to speak to as many juniors and parents as possible so please feel free to approach us on any junior chess matter. Please come along also, even if your child is not playing if you have any questions. Paul has inherited a wonderful opportunity thanks to some quite exceptional unselfish work by Phil, Jacqui, Andy and many others and we are incredibly excited of the potential of our Scotland squad, particularly in the younger age brackets. Our aim is to build as big a squad as possible at younger ages then move them though the years supporting them in every way we can. Alan and I were delighted with the progress we felt our whole squad made in Bulgaria at the Euroyouths. Please be assured that all of us are totally committed to continue this progress in every way we can.

Robin.

Print this item

Lothians Congress
Posted by: Andy Howie - 30-09-2011, 02:42 PM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (20)

We will be broadcasting 8 games from the Lothians Congress this weekend.

I'll put links up when available

Print this item

Lothians Congress Minor
Posted by: David G Congalton - 29-09-2011, 08:50 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (10)

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you fair warning. If you are playing in the Minor section of the Lothians congress this weekend please bring your A game. I have made a solemn promise to myself to purchase an aquarium and some tropical fish should I score 5 out of 5 and I really, really want a 60l aquarium complete with cabinet. Obviously, I also want a small bridge to put in the said aquarium for the fish to meander over and back again.

For those who may be unfortunate enough to face me, you have one more day and two more nights to brush up your skills and work on your game. I will be showing no mercy to adults or juniors, men or women and fully intend to sweep all before me in pursuit of this goal. Take my recent results at face value at your peril.

I do not expect any easy games, in fact I demand you play to the best of your capabilities. That way, when I am sitting admiring my new underwater extravaganza it will be that much more satisfying. Once you have been beaten do not be disheartened, I shall be buying 5 fish for my new aquarium and will name them after my 5 vanquished opponents. From the entrants list, so far, the fish may be called Mark, Camas, David Mc, Mike and Mahir. I reckon I'll need to invest in at least one mini-shark if that's how it turns out.

For those who would like a fish named after them, play well and play to win. Should you do well you may get to face me in a last round showdown, if you are lucky and before the last round if you're not.

Ha ha ha ha ha (please read the last in a manic, deranged kind of way, for full effect).

Print this item

Swiss Manager Program
Posted by: David G Congalton - 29-09-2011, 08:17 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (7)

The swiss manager program and chess results.com website/server seem to be much utilised resources by tournaments abroad.

At first glance the arbiters seem to benefit by having a computer program generate the draw, which apart from anything else removes the possibility of accusations of favouritism or whatever the opposite of favouritism is. Gotitinformeism?

Tournaments also appear to benefit by having results available online extremely quickly which may generate interest during the event.

Would the 199 Euros a full version costs be money well spent if the resource was available to every suitable event?

There may be other programs/facilities out there that do a similar job and it may be that this sort of application has major drawbacks or hidden costs but I’m not aware of them.

Were it suitable and of benefit to arbiters and organisers alike, I would suggest that Chess Scotland could make the purchase and make it widely available to Scottish tournaments.

Print this item

Live games test 2
Posted by: Andy Howie - 29-09-2011, 07:56 PM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (2)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/Test%202/Test2/tfd.htm">http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/ ... t2/tfd.htm</a><!-- m -->

3 boards tonight!

Print this item

EC Forum
Posted by: Andy Howie - 28-09-2011, 09:58 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (13)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3499">http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3499</a><!-- m -->

Print this item

My Favourite Checkmate
Posted by: Andy Howie - 27-09-2011, 01:37 PM - Forum: Games Analysis - Replies (1)

I love this checkmate. Managed it in a 2+1s blitz game today

[pgn][Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2011.09.27"]
[Round "-"]
[White "Wellfan"]
[Black ""]
[Result "1-0"]

1. d4 d5 2. e4 c6 3. e5 f6 4. Nf3 Bf5 5. Nc3 Na6 6. Bd3 Bxd3 7. Qxd3 e6 8.
O-O Bc5 9. Be3 Nb4 10. Qd1 Bxd4 11. Bxd4 Nh6 12. a3 fxe5 13. Bxe5 Nxc2 14.
Qxc2 Nf5 15. Qd2 O-O 16. Bf4 Qb6 17. Be5 Rad8 18. Qg5 Qxb2 19. Nxd5 Qxe5
20. Nxe5 cxd5 21. Rab1 b6 22. Rbc1 Rc8 23. Rxc8 Rxc8 24. h3 b5 25. Re1 Nd4
26. Qe7 a5 27. Qf7+ Kh8 28. Kh2 b4 29. axb4 axb4 30. Rd1 Nf5 31. Qxe6 Rf8
32. Nf7+ Kg8 33. Nh6+ Kh8 34. Qg8+ Rxg8 35. Nf7#
1-0[/pgn]

Print this item

27th European Club Cup 2011
Posted by: George Murphy - 25-09-2011, 09:06 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (9)

I see Edinburgh CC got off to a good - if losing (2-4)- start today with one win and two draws against considerably higher graded opposition. Good on them!

Print this item

Edinburgh Chess Club - Doors Open Day
Posted by: Mark Sanderson - 24-09-2011, 08:27 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Edinburgh Chess Club are participating in this year's Edinburgh Doors Open Day. The club will be open from 10am to 3pm both today and tomorrow (24th/25th September). If you fancy a few friendly games of chess this weekend, or would like to have look around and learn more about the history of the club - now in its 190th year - just come along to 1 Alva Street, EH2 4PH.

Print this item

First test of equipment tonight
Posted by: Andy Howie - 22-09-2011, 07:46 PM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (15)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/Test/tfd.htm">http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/Test/tfd.htm</a><!-- m -->

I am not going to be at the computer so this is an unattended test

Print this item