Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 383
» Latest member: StevenUsemo
» Forum threads: 2,242
» Forum posts: 22,492

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 618 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 613 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex, steve smith

Latest Threads
Primary Individual Champi...
Forum: Junior Chess Chat
Last Post: amuir
2 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13
Dundee Congress 2024
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: Keith Rose
Yesterday, 12:33 PM
» Views: 57
2024 SNCL AGM Minutes
Forum: League Announcements
Last Post: amuir
24-04-2024, 10:26 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 171
Andy Howie in Canada
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Andy Howie
22-04-2024, 06:37 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1,292
SNCL Round 9 and AGM fol...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: Glynis Grant
15-04-2024, 10:04 PM
» Views: 198
Livingston Allegro, April...
Last Post: JMcNicoll
31-03-2024, 10:39 AM
» Views: 194
Edinburgh Park Congress
28-03-2024, 04:06 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 769
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
28-03-2024, 12:05 PM
» Views: 415
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Views: 264
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 385

Who's Wilhelm Steinitz???
Posted by: Glynis Grant - 12-10-2011, 10:38 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (2)

Why is it that when I post a message this guy's name appears under my name??

I have no idea who he is and I would like to assure everyone that I am not two timing Ian in any way!!

Whoever this stalker is tell him to get lost!

I see A Howie has a sensible statement under his name. Can I please have SNCL Coordinator ?

GG

Print this item

Richardson/Spens 2011-12
Posted by: amuir - 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (96)

Richardson entries (10)
Bearsden
Bon Accord
Cathcart
Dundee & Victoria
Edinburgh
Edinburgh West
GlasgowPolytechnic
Hamilton
Oban
WanderingDragons

Spens entries (9)
Castlehill
East Kilbride
Edinburgh B
Edinburgh Civil Service
Hamilton B
Irvine
Kilmarnock
Phones
Troon

Draws for 1st round & quarter-finals to be made at Dundee Congress.
Random draw so could get interesting 1st round matches !

Print this item

Team Lightning 4/12/11
Posted by: Graham Kerr - 11-10-2011, 01:39 AM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (5)

Forgive me, could someone refresh my memory. What is Lightning again?

Print this item

SNCL
Posted by: Glynis Grant - 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (7)

Hi Folks,

Yes it is that time of year again - comes very fast. At this rate it'll soon be Christmas!!

Just to update you - Entry forms need to be in by 15th Oct so that I can then send the info to Andy for setting up rounds etc. Please make sure your team is included. Check with your club secretary - they all have forms. If in doubt you will find the forms on CS Calendar or email me for another one!!

Look forward to seeing you all

GG Big Grin

Print this item

Hamilton Junior Congress Results
Posted by: Michael Hanley - 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Event yesterday 9th Oct in st Margarets Church Hall, Airdrie.

Under 300:
1st Benjamin Ridge Edinburgh 6/6
2nd Aidan McGhie alexandra PS Airdrie 5/6
3rd Andrew Lawther bishopton PS 4/6 (on tiebreak)

Medals for 50% and above:
4/6 Felix Esche Edinburgh
Ryan Cunningham Bothwell PS
Louis McGarrity St Brides PS Bothwell
Christopher Dobie Holy Family Lenzie

3.5/6 Harry McKay Mearns PS Newton Mearns

3/6 Oran Pathi Kirkhill PS Newton Mearns
Niall McGrory Bishopton
Jennifer Lowe Keir Hardie PS Motherwell

Under 600:
1st Euan Gray Mile End PS Aberdeen 5/6
2nd Kirsty McCusker Balmuildy PS Bishopbriggs 4.5/6
3rd Robert Pirrie South Morningside PS Edinburgh 4/6 (on tiebreak)

4/6 Jamie Marron Holy Family PS Lenzie
Fintan Pathi Kirkhill PS Newton mearns

3.5/6 Euan Dawson Lawhead PS St Andrews
Mairi Mulvanny Edinburgh

3/6 Eoin Cameron Bishopton
Daniel Marron Lenzie Chess Academy

Over 600:
1st Moray Lennox Glasgow HS 5.5/6
2nd Liam richmond Oban 5/6
3rd Andrew Reilly Stonelaw HS Rutherglen 4/6

3/6 Aidan Jenkins St John the Baptist PS Uddingston
Nadia Ameur Uddingston Grammar
Leonardo Sani Ninewells CC Dundee
Cahil McGeechan Holy Cross HS Hamilton
David Borland Coatbridge HS

Print this item

Hamilton Junior congress - 4 board test
Posted by: Andy Howie - 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM - Forum: Live Games - Replies (7)

I am running a 4 board test at the Hamilton Junior Congress today

7 rounds links will appear here

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/Hamiltonjuniors/livegames/r1/tfd.htm">http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/ ... r1/tfd.htm</a><!-- m -->

Print this item

Early day motion 2158 - Chess
Posted by: Gerard Blake - 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (5)

Not sure how many on here are aware of this Early Day Motion. I first heard about it through a link on the TWIC website.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/public...umber=2158

Quote:That this House recognises the positive social and intellectual benefits for all children across the social spectrum of learning chess at a young age and the relatively low costs of teaching it in schools; notes that while chess currently receives no financial support from the Government, many European countries including Sweden and France financially support chess in schools; further notes that the European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth would welcome UK support for the Chess in Schools project being developed by the ECU and the Kasparov Chess Foundation; welcomes the work of the UK-based charity Chess in Schools and Communities which teaches chess to primary school children from less affluent backgrounds; and calls on the Government to ensure that all children are given the opportunity to learn chess at primary school within existing resources.

If any of you want to contact your MP to ask them to sign this EDM you can do so through the following http://www.writetothem.com/. I did, but unfortunately my own MP (Douglas Alexander) is a member of the Shadow Cabinet, which precludes him from signing EDMs

Print this item

Chess in Scotland on Sunday
Posted by: Geoff Chandler - 07-10-2011, 01:10 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (2)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotsman.com/spectrum/Pawn-stars-Scots-chess-players.6846413.jp">http://www.scotsman.com/spectrum/Pawn-s ... 6846413.jp</a><!-- m -->

Due to the fact they interviewed both me and Rudolf Austin it could have turned
out to be a disaster for Scottish Chess. I think we got away with it.......this time.

Print this item

Chess Scotland Broadcast Channel
Posted by: David G Congalton - 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (11)

The Dundee congresses proposed use of the livestream facility for broadcasting at next weekend’s event, Prestwick’s intention to broadcast commentary at the 2012 congress and the thread on online junior coaching has set the little wheels and cogs crunching in my head about a Chess Scotland livestream channel.

Some of the following is also on the junior thread and I apologise for repeating myself. I said I apologise for repeating myself.

By using Livestream, it is my understanding that broadcasts can be made at no cost to the provider or to the user. I believe that the Livestream facility can also allow the viewer to see what is on the producers screen. There is also a chat facility which allows communication between the provider and the audience.

The free version has no restriction on who can view or the number of viewers (once a channel has been verified).

The provision of a Chess Scotland channel may spread public awareness of the game, the channel could be used for

• the broadcast of congresses

• the broadcasting of the Scottish Championships

• A monthly Chess Reporting Scotland

• The Presidential Speech each Christmas and New Year

• Last night of the Pawns for those with musical talents

• Live 100 club draw.

• Junior and adult training

• Award ceremonies – Chess Scotland equivalent of the Oscars and the award for best supporting actor in a Chess Soap goes to …

• Question time – A panel made up of our top chess players could be grilled on what they think of the current situation of the game in Scotland. Nominations for the role of mediator could be made on the forum.

• The Kings Road – A gritty soap about a town of chess players and the drama, scandal and intrigue of their lives. This Thursday – Big Al is devastated at being omitted from the first team’s trip to Auchtershoogle, Rab the Rook returns a day early from the Mull of Kintyre congress to find his wife big Senga entertaining Dougie the Poisoned Pawn over his Battle of Bannockburn chess set.

Print this item

Glasgow & District Schools’ Chess League Secondary Division
Posted by: Derek Howie - 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (1)

This League is open to all Secondary Schools in Glasgow & District.

There are five tournaments available:

1) Junior League For teams of 4 players in S1 or S2
2) Intermediate League For teams of 4 players in S3 or S4
3) Senior League For teams of 4 players in S5 or S6
(Younger players may play in the Intermediate and Senior leagues)
4) Girls’ League For teams of 4 girls from S1-S6
5) P.B.Anderson Trophy For teams of 4 players from S1-S6.
(This is a knockout competition with an age handicap to help younger players)

An entry fee of £15.00 is paid to the League and for this sum, schools can enter one team in each category. Once entries are received, a draw is made by the Secretary who ensures that the number of home and away matches is spread evenly in the fixture list. If there is a large number of entries, then 2 columns would be made so that the maximum number of games in each tournament is kept to 5 or 6. Matches are played after school from November until May, on a date which is arranged between the two team organisers but before a deadline date which is given for each round. Individual teams of 4 players should be arranged in order of playing strength. Winning schools receive a trophy which they keep for a year; as well as individual medals. Depending on the number of teams in the league - runners-up may also receive individual medals.

At present, the number of schools entering is small but it is hoped that if this increases, the schools would be grouped geographically to minimise travelling time.

Please complete the following entry form and return with the entry fee to the Secretary by Friday 28th October 2011:

Mrs Christine MacGregor. Woodfarm High School, Robslee Road, GLASGOW G46 7BL

Enquiries or questions can be sent to: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:chess@50chessgames.freeserve.co.uk">chess@50chessgames.freeserve.co.uk</a><!-- e -->
Notice of your interest/ participation can be sent here in advance of the closing date.
Cheques for £15.00 should be made payable to: Glasgow & District Schools Chess League.

Print this item