Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIDE GA
There has been a lot on social media today about the FIDE GA and the abolition of terms for the President.   I can confirm that I was one of those who voted against it.

Thought I would let the members know given what is being said.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Scotland unfortunately is following Russian bad habits .
If the FIDE meeting was not remote, Scotland and England could have walked out of the meeting as a protest.
Guess what , Scotland uses zoom for its AGMs too.
Andy , you never show your face at an AGM, your video is off .
It is becoming very secretive.
Our Management Board should all be elected, none appointed.
Guess what , the last two Directors have been appointed.
You really want to see my face?  Do you want to put people off.

Its a bandwidth thing, especially when I am recording for minute purposes, I don't want to lose connection because of video stream.

I fundamentally disagree with you on the FIDE thing.  A non olympiad year would attract 40 people max to the GA, hardly democratic.  By moving the non olympiad to online over 170 join.

Not a bad idea in my view.  Maybe time us oldies (and yes I am a senior myself now) actually embraced this new fangled technology which allows people at distance and who are unable to participate and feel part of the meeting.

As for the comment about last two directors being appointed, you may want to read the constitution.  It clearly sets out what happens.  If you don't like it, put a proposal in for change but it is pointless complaining about something that has been in place for quite a few years, has been used many times in the past without complaint and not seeking to change it.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I agree that the constitution does allow "unfilled directorship" to be filled on approval of the Management Board - as quick as possible and rightly so.  The last thing that is needed to to create a vacuum of unfilled posts. In any case  they can be validated by Council or an AGM(article 8.2.4) if necessary.

However i do have questions

In the opening post we are advised of "social media" posts and the fact the a vote as recorded. 
Where is the subsentence for this and what are the facts of this?
What was the motion and what was the outcome?  Simply to say the a vote was recorded on its own is rather meaningless.

What, if any, other motions have been passed/rejected that may effect Scotland and how did Scotland vote and the outcome of such votes.

The formal minutes will take a lot of reading, it was the FIDE GA was an 8-hour meeting, and a lot to read through when only relevant/salient points can be brought to our attention.
There was a vote to remove the term limits for the President. I preferred one of the other motions on this that would have been considered if that motion was rejected and subsequently voted against. It was carried and there has been wide condemnation of it on social media. I thought it would be right and proper to let the membership know how I voted on that matter.

There were no motions that would affect Scotland and to that end I have nothing to report.
(18-12-2023, 09:43 AM)amuir Wrote: Scotland unfortunately is following Russian bad habits .
If the FIDE meeting was not remote, Scotland and England could have walked out of the meeting as a protest.
Guess what , Scotland uses zoom for its AGMs too. 
Andy , you never show your face at an AGM, your video is off .
It is becoming very secretive.
Our Management Board should all be elected, none appointed.
Guess what , the last two Directors have been appointed.

I fail to see how embracing modern technology and using Zoom meetings is following bad habits - have you actually looked at most businesses these days using Zoom and Microsoft Teams for meetings?
I also would like to know you can propose to know that Scotland and England would have walked out of the FIDE meeting given you were not the delegate of either country

As for Andy's video being off, so is mine! - I also have to use the same broadband at the same time as our daughter and son using the internet.  There's a limit on our bandwith when our kids are also streaming! Nothing secretive about it!
Again - as per previous comments - I would read up on the constitution if I were you!
i'm not going to wade into this but i thought the FIDE officer is supposed to give a written report, whether or not it affects Scotland or not but if not surely it should be the case anyway
Ian, no, is covered in report to Council and AGM with anything relevant
Ian, the important decision concerns FIDE rating. At the moment that decision has not been confirmed in the public domain. When it is then appropriate CS directors will consider it and determine how it affects us.
I see no point in creating idle speculation until the facts are known.
well i do Alex but I have said enough