Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Senior Team Championships - Dresden
The posting on the poorly attended meeting on seniors chess in Dresden actually does not tell us anything.

Certainly Scotland should be making its views known to FIDE and ECU and I think Craig would best do this.

Two good results for the Scotland teams again today, setting up the big clash in last round for the A team!
Very good result for Scotland A today. But, the fat looks to be in the fire for tomorrow when we face England 1. To be fair, they do not seem to have fulfilled their true potential. (John Nunn suffered from food-poisoning earlier, but how much this impacted on team results is difficult to gauge: another negative comment on the lack of full and up-to-date information from this [Dresden] website.)

Tomorrow, I hope Scotland A furnish the fire etc. … But, realistically, England 1 will be formidable opposition. Here, it will be worth recalling Craig’s advice about not under- or overestimating anyone.

That said, Slovakia and Germany need only one point each to secure Gold and Silver respectively. By contrast, Scotland share third place with no fewer than five other teams, all of whom will be fighting hard.

Such a scenario really deserves more than just one set of Live Games!!

C’mon Scotland!!! (Both Teams!)
Looking at the rankings, only a win against England can give the Scots a bronze medal. But a win should do it - Scotland are well ahead of the other teams on SB score.

It's a tall order but it's been done before - if only by the likes of Bruce and Wallace, Law and Baxter, Maclaughlan and Sole...

Best wishes for the last round to both teams..
And in Correspondence Chess Final - England 1-5 Scotland, when one of the current team was playing :-)
Bronze possible. Reason I thought unlikely if Scotland didn't beat Germany, was because I didn't anticipate another sub-par result today by England. Only 2-2 v Thueringen is not impressive, given that the match was a must-win for them effectively.

England are dangerous, to say the least, but can wobble a bit, and have wobbled in Dresden far too often. Go for it, Scotland! Great draw today v the hosts ... Shame we don't get any pgn files, never mind only one live board match per tournament each day.

Would indeed be good to know what was discussed at, as well as the sense of that meeting on the currently chaotic (my view) state of seniors chess organisation by Fide/ Ecu. Doubt it will be as important as when discussed at the late summer Fide/ Ecu assemblies, where decisions might be taken.
England A win 3.5-0.5 v Scotland A. England A get bronze. Not exactly sure where Scotland A lie but even if not top 5 on match points, they quite possibly were top 5 on TPR. Vagaries of Swiss system at work, as ever, except for top few places in such events! Scots were at the top virtually throughout. Good, hard-fought performance. Slovakia win by a mile!
Does anyone know if Douglas did enough with his draw today for the board prize?
Douglas got Bronze, Colin got Bronze !!!!
Good effort guys - felt like both teams competed very well. glad we got something to show for the efforts.

As others have said more PGNS would have been good.
Does anyone know whether/when the games will be available for downloading - will they even be in TWIC?