Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European club cup Bilbao
I still don't understand why the programming doesn't allow for you to input a nationality field for each team, and then have the formulae for the draw calculation consider that nationality field. I think Andy H knows something about this, but can't remember what he said in the past.
Nothing at all appears to be working today on the official website including any live games.
It is working now but takes ages to connect to the website.
Edinburgh 4.5-1.5 Bon Accord. Victory for the establishment club. An omen? Smile

(Honestly I really don't expect the organisers to care about pairing teams from the same country against each other; as said up-thread it's especially difficult in later rounds when they're concentrated in the lower reaches of the seedings.)
Scotland has been asked to play in the 30th anniversary of the Basque Chess Selection, an International Festival of Chess (EXPOCHESS) from 27 to 30 of November 2014.

Exhibitions and competitions of painting and photography with the thematic
of the Chess will be made. Also, conferences about the Chess in the school
and its use in the prevention of the Alzheimer's will be made.

The main event will be the tribute to the Basque Chess Selection of Chess,
with an International match of Main National Selections of Chess; in
commemoration of the match disputed in Azkoitia 09/12/1984 in which the
Basque Chess Selection of Chess was faced with Italy (EUS-ITA: 5'5-1'5).

The Chess Festival will be held in Azkoitia, Guipuzcoa (Spain). The match v Scotland
will be played on Saturday November 29, 2014.

Does this have any connections to Bilbao ?
Both teams won against higher-ranked opposition today to finish above seeding.

Edinburgh (seeded 45) finished in 39th with 6 pts
Bon Accord (seeded 51) finished in 43rd with 5 pts

Well done to both teams! :ymapplause:
Great stuff!

And a 2411 tournament performance for Clement.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Well done guys - great show.

As for Andy's question about the Basque chess selection. No, it's nothing to do with Bilbao. Scotland is regarded as a fellow 'stateless nation' by Basque and Catalonian separatists, so we get invited to their parties. Although the invites may dry up now that we've let the side down...
Great event, great teams, great effort. Well done to everyone involved.

A tournament that I feel should be a target every year for our best club sides. Go for it!
Yes, this tournament has been a success especially for Edinburgh with Clement, Neil and Danny playing very well.

Please note revised Richardson rule no. 19:

19. European Club Cup
Any team wishing to be considered for entry into the European Club Cup must inform the
Tournament Controller no later than the date of the Team Semi-Finals.
The CS nominees for the European Club Cup will be determined in the following order:
1) The two finalists. If one or both decline, then
2) The losing semi-finalists. If one or both decline, then
3) Any Richardson team
If more teams wish to enter than there are places available those teams shall play off under
Richardson Cup rules on a date mutually agreed between themselves but no later than a date
specified by the Tournament Controller.
Revised September 2014