Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U16 Olympiad
Tough result this morning, the South Africans look much better than their grades would suggest.
Well onto the afternoon game and an interesting one v Turkey-Kocaeli
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quote:Mike, show me an event in Scotland where we have a time control like that. I like the time control but we seem to have too many going to blitz which is where I think we went wrong yesterday.

Exactly my points. The players normally do not experience this time control at normal weekend congresses: so they / training staff must do something specific to get them experience of it. Set up a training competition or whatever. To be honest it was not something I ever worried about when getting Jonny prepared for events but should have done.

Its an old saying that the clock is your extra piece, but the time control here really seems to emphasis it.
Meanwhile back in Turkey,

Who has upset Andrew? He is on Fire!!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Pretty useful win against oone of the host teams Big Grin
Ann Roy has been in touch with me to ask if I can relay any news from Charlie through the noticeboard. This will hopefully give us an insight into the day to day tournament info and I will post anything as soon as Ann sends me it.

Robin.
Ok,

Have some better info now on how it has been going so far. Two main things...

1/ Our opponents have used their time probably better than us overall and are prepared to go to any lengths to get results.

2/ Not having a reserve is giving us serious prep problems. We don't know which player they will drop from their squad but they know our team order exactly and can prepare properly for it.

Sam and Shivan have had the worst time problems and both feel that their overall play has merited better results. Sam's 2144 Czech opponent called the arbiter over when both players had 30 secs or so, I guess they were in the Fischer time control. Sam's opponent correctly pointed out to the arbiter that Sam had not recorded his last 3 moves. What happened next had the Czech coach shaking his head in disbelief and embarassment. The Czech boy covered his scoresheet and refused Sam to see it. Sam got flustered and lost on time. Shivan was also in desperate time trouble in a couple of his games where he definitely was ok.

Ali is a bit annoyed with herself that in two games she could have won a piece. Overall though she feels she is playing well and is determined not to lose a game. She misses me having to put in a backshift with all of her games then taking her for dinner !

Andrew was livid when our opponents dropped their board 1 in round 5, meaning his preparation was worthless. That's probably what fired him up !

One other thing that is clear is that our junior internationals in general will have to get used to playing on live boards for all to see and accept that there will be comments made about their games.

Final thing is that they have got UAE B in round 6. Charlie says this is the first time they have had a chance to rest properly and prepare before a match.

Robin.
robin moore Wrote:Sam's 2144 Czech opponent called the arbiter over when both players had 30 secs or so, I guess they were in the Fischer time control. Sam's opponent correctly pointed out to the arbiter that Sam had not recorded his last 3 moves. What happened next had the Czech coach shaking his head in disbelief and embarassment. The Czech boy covered his scoresheet and refused Sam to see it. Sam got flustered and lost on time. Shivan was also in desperate time trouble in a couple of his games where he definitely was ok.

That is bang out of order and explains the Czech result. The arbiter wants pulled up for that as the scoresheet is the property of the tournament and not the player.

I have to say I am really impressed with our 4 players. I think this is the first time we have played in this and looking at how well we are doing, I hope it is not the last
Andy Howie Wrote:
robin moore Wrote:Sam's 2144 Czech opponent called the arbiter over when both players had 30 secs or so, I guess they were in the Fischer time control. Sam's opponent correctly pointed out to the arbiter that Sam had not recorded his last 3 moves. What happened next had the Czech coach shaking his head in disbelief and embarassment. The Czech boy covered his scoresheet and refused Sam to see it. Sam got flustered and lost on time. Shivan was also in desperate time trouble in a couple of his games where he definitely was ok.

That is bang out of order and explains the Czech result. The arbiter wants pulled up for that as the scoresheet is the property of the tournament and not the player.

I have to say I am really impressed with our 4 players. I think this is the first time we have played in this and looking at how well we are doing, I hope it is not the last

Agreed. This shows no honour in my opinion; and without honour a player is worthless. I'd rather lose honourably than "win" by some sneaky technicality.
I hope our opponents are not reading this thread ! Latest news from Turkey is that UAE B, our opponents today, have dropped their board 1 player which means our prep for this game up to now is useless. Of course, this will weaken their side too so it's a bit swings and roundabouts.

Robin.