Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom of Speech
Adam Bremner Wrote:This sort of thing goes on all the time in football. Look at all the players championship sides draft in when they get promoted, all because the manager is trying to do his best for the club and fans. No matter how much they contributed or how well they are liked, if Messi is available, he gets in the team, and it is nothing personal. It is harsh on the guys who won the promotion yes, but there are two ways to go. Either you are happy to remain as a fringe player with the respect of your colleagues and fans, and play some games for the reserve team, or you want better games so transfer to a club who likes what they see.

In chess, the fans are the average club members and the manager is the team captain. As a player, you are left with essentially the same two options. I am sure there are teams who would be happy of an extra player, unfortunately they probably won't pay you £40k a week.
I have opted for a third option, and have resigned from Cumbernauld Chess Club. I could rant and rave a little, but feel that I have done enough of that already and hey I would not like to make Cumbernauld chess club look bad in a national forum of their peers.
robin moore Wrote:I was at the football today watching my lot Irvine Meadow lose at home to Cumnock 1-0 in the Scottish Junior Cup. I was a wee bit cheered up when I read this explanation to a lady of the offside rule....

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.
The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.
It would be totally rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.
The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.
Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.
She prepares to throw her purse to you.
If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes.
At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and, *whilst it is in flight* you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes.
Always remembering that until the purse had *actually been thrown* it would be plain wrong to be forward of the other shopper.

LMAO, gonna have to write this down...