Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson 2012-13
JRedpath Wrote:I can only remember one inncident from SNCL a few years back when Edinburgh West insisted that we play in strict order of FIDE grades. This was the year when Myself, Steven and Pat were all rated within 1 point of each other I think.

As far as I can remember the arbiter upheld their complaint and we were forced to change board orders right before the round was about to start, completely wrong in my opinion, but we accepted the decision.

Clearly you have a completely different view on the issue to us Andy, which is fair enough. I do however wonder what would have happened if we had stuck to our chosen order before last Saturdays match ;P

Who knows what might happen in the future, maybe in a few years Dragons will have 4-5 players who can change boards, I will not be complaining then. There is also no guarantee that Hamilton players ratings will remain so close either, it's the luck of the draw.

Hi Joe,

Having had an 'official' ruling, I imagine we would have played the match and then put in a wee complaint that you hadn't followed the ruling. As I said earlier, I had decided just to sit down and play whoever was on my board - getting involved in a dispute immediately before the game (rather than a day before) is a surefire way to cloud your chess judgement.

I'm not arguing this simply because of a specific Dragons/Hamilton match or issue - I think the rule needs to be tighter and should ensure as much fairness between teams as possible - other issues (flexibility etc.) should be secondary issues.
Steve Hilton should not resign
There will be no rule changes till after the final on 27 April.
Any disputes in semi-finals or final - please contact me.
Would the captain of any club which wishes to make a change in rules for 2013-14 please email me with a proposal anytime between now and 31 May including the precise wording they want and a captain's vote will take place.
Given some of the issues that have arisen in the thread, would a solution not be that each team captain submits a list of their squad in current playing strength order to the Home Director/tournament organiser, who can circulate it around the other team captains?

If changes are felt to be needed during the season, due to, for example, a player's loss of form or to allow 2 players of equal strength to alternate boards, then a new list is submitted and circulated, with the new list taking effect in, say, 7 days time to give everyone a bit of notice as to the changes.

This would allow everyone to know what the current board order is, but also allows changes if they are felt necessary.
amuir Wrote:Steve Hilton should not resign

I personally agree 100% with this.

amuir Wrote:Would the captain of any club which wishes to make a change in rules for 2013-14 please email me with a proposal anytime between now and 31 May including the precise wording they want and a captain's vote will take place.

This is absolutely the way to go. Would it be an idea to get this publicised on the front page of the website?

Good move Andy
Jim Webster Wrote:
amuir Wrote:Steve Hilton should not resign

I personally agree 100% with this.

As do I but I have not been able to persuade him othewise.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I might have missed something, but has anyone at all suggested that he should?
Hugh,
I took the decision to resign because my decision on the Richardson Cup was not acceptable in some quarters.
As the director responsible for the event, the event I have to assume the responsibility for the problem.
Steve what decision did you make on the Richardson? I have heard nothing.

No reason to resign anyway just because some people did not like your decision, that is what being a director is about making difficult decisions, you can't please everyone.

Re-consider!
Joe, Andy H, Andy M Jim W ,
I I appreciate you all asking me to reconsider my position, but I cannot. This is because I allowed my self to be put in a no win situation, by my decision vis a vis the playing order.
I want to thank you all for your words of persuasion.
I had been doing both this work for CS and also my work for the IBCA for 4 years and 5 years respectively.
I will continue to help CS if needed, as I am passionate about chess in Scotland
I am sure that the intention of this thread was not to cause a resignation but disagreements/debates/arguments are wearing on already busy men and women. Perhaps we need to be more temperate with our words, or we may end up with fewer directors. As noted at the AGM not all directorships are filled so it is difficult to get people to do the job. They are a rare breed hopefully not to become extinct.