Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson 2012-13
Sounds to me like you have some personal issues with Andy Muir that need resolved, that's fine but seems like it is affecting your judgement. You clearly had no problem with Edinburgh West playing out of grading order in the final last year, so why now? I also can't accept your reasoning for yourself playing out of order in last years final, you can't complain about others doing it when you have done yourself!

I will however agree that the rules need to be ammended to be more clear for future years. They should either say "strict published Scottish Grading Order" or "within x amount of points".

Maybe we could have an independent unbiased viewpoint from someone like Donald Wilson or Ken Stewart, we are clearly not going to agree and could cause an issue tomorrow. Best to get it sorted out now.
JRedpath Wrote:Sounds to me like you have some personal issues with Andy Muir that need resolved, that's fine but seems like it is affecting your judgement. You clearly had no problem with Edinburgh West playing out of grading order in the final last year, so why now? I also can't accept your reasoning for yourself playing out of order in last years final, you can't complain about others doing it when you have done yourself!

I will however agree that the rules need to be ammended to be more clear for future years. They should either say "strict published Scottish Grading Order" or "within x amount of points".

Maybe we could have an independent unbiased viewpoint from somone like Donald Wilson or Ken Stewart, we are clearly not going to agree and could cause an issue tomorrow. Best to get it sorted out now.

I'm sure there are a lot of people with personal issues against Andy Muir! It's not affecting my judgement though - I've been arguing the same point with all you guys for years now Smile
If any team refuses to play tomorrow I shall default them from the trophy
Unaccustomed use of moderator hat here ...

I don't really want to shout at anyone, but can we please try to keep this at least somewhat civil?

Removing hat now.

Quote:If any team refuses to play tomorrow I shall default them from the trophy

Andy (M) - I assume this doesn't apply to any match that gets wiped out by the weather? I think both us and Oban are going to make it to Callander tomorrow, but I wouldn't put the farm on it.
Just to ask, where exactly did this 80 point rule come from?
I have to say that I have no personal issues against andy muir whatsoever (unless you count my hard feelings about getting completely hammered by him at the Scottish blitz :p) but I have to say that it is a bit annoying that it is fairly easy for Hamilton to prepare against other teams but nigh on impossible to prepare for them, because of the dubious interpretation of the rules by the organiser of the event who just happens to be a member of the team that indisputably benefits the most from his interpretation of the rules. Whether this is deliberate or not is beside the point - it is easy to convince yourself that things that suit you are the way it should be but the fact is that the rule says current playing strength and in another thread I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that the reason that Hamilton varies its board order is that they want to give all their stronger players (who all are close in grade) a fair amount of games against decent opposition which is understandable but not within the rules! The rules say playing strength not preference! Even if the playing strength is very close it doesn't matter and there is no excuse of ignorance as there is a rating system designed for this purpose! Just want to reiterate that I have no personal issues whatsoever with any of the Hamilton team and that all the ones I have had the pleasure to meet I have found polite and friendly.
amuir Wrote:If any team refuses to play tomorrow I shall default them from the trophy

and it will be the last act you ever perform as an official within Scottish chess.
Wow... a heated thread on the CS forum that doesn't relate to Junior Chess. =o

From my viewpoint, not that it is worth much as I don't play in the Richardson and I am nowhere near the league of the other players who have posted. The rules should be clarified one way or another as they are far too vague and its obviously causing some ill feeling.

I wouldn't like to suggest what the rules should be but a bit of goodwill and common sense on both sides wouldn't go a miss.

Edit: When did Brechin become a moderator? We're all doomed. ;P
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Quote:From the rules
12 In the event of an appeal against a decision by the Arbiter, the case shall be referred to the Arbiters' Committee whose decision shall be final. The club's claim must be accompanied by a £20 fee, refundable at the discretion of the committee. The Director of Home Chess shall have the power to alter or modify the foregoing rules in such manner as he may think necessary.

Andy Burnett may not like the little bit hidden away in rule 12, but equally it is the Home Director who is empowered make rule changes - and isn't that post currently vacant? So no-one is currently able to change the rules, I think!
Jim Webster Wrote:
Quote:From the rules
Andy Burnett may not like the little bit hidden away in rule 12, but equally it is the Home Director who is empowered make rule changes - and isn't that post currently vacant? So no-one is currently able to change the rules, I think!

Hi Jim, I believe Steve Hilton is the Home Director (Open). I think at the last AGM he stood for Marketing Director and was elected but also stood for Home Director and was subsequently elected.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
OK Thanks David, just that the minutes said post was open, which was info I looked up.