Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st On-line Scottish Chess Tour Allegro
(26-04-2020, 08:55 AM)David Deary Wrote: Great idea guys, unfortunately if I attempted to play in this my better half would either kill me or I'd have the kids climbing all over me as I was trying to calculate (difficult for me at the best of times these days) and blunder.

Is there any way to watch the games?

Hi David

Yes, on Chess.com.

See if you can get to 'Scottish Chess Tour' chess club find someone and watch their games.

David
Thanks guys, I had a great time and hope you run more events like this.
Thanks to everyone who took part.

John and I have had a bit of time to rest from what was a very hectic day. We knew it would be a learning exercise for us and so it proved.

There were even a few issues not even associated with the online chess environment which proved very challenging for us.

It was very difficult to get a feel for how the players enjoyed the event, but following the complementary comments we received, we do plan to run other events. The next event may well be a standard event spread out over several days, thus allowing us more time to sort out any problems we might encounter between rounds.

Any thoughts/suggestions for future events will be considered.

I still have to complete some fair play routines before I announce the final placings.
I wonder if having lots of small all play alls where the pairings and schedule are published might be easier to organise than swisses where you have to communicate the pairings by email throughout the day.
Once I found (ok was shown by a friend...) the part of the website where the pairings for the open were all published in advance then it made the logistics part run smoothly for me.
So I guess my only other comment was that I found the website slightly hard to navigate. A post in the chessscotland forum with a link to the "schedule" page that had all five round's pairings would have helped.
All-Play-All's are being considered as one way to go. Although individual withdrawals can have more of an impact on the tournament than in a Swiss. We did need to move players between tournaments following a withdrawal from the Premier before start of play. I rather suspect that a withdrawal from a All-Play-All tournament that isn't offering prize money isn't too disruptive. We would also need a large enough spread of players to avoid any major discrepancies of grading differences . Although it seemed to work well on Sunday. At one point on Sunday we had considered asking the Premier players to play their games to the original timetable, but the pairings were only being displayed a round at a time. It was only after the event I noticed the schedule facility available in Vega.

One thing I was surprised by, unlike an over the board tournament, there were no 'no shows' and no withdrawals.

We are also considering utilising the platform's tournament facilities, although these are quite different to standard Swiss tournaments.

Look out for an announcement of some future tournaments in the near future.
(29-04-2020, 01:12 AM)David Clayton Wrote: All-Play-All's are being considered as one way to go. Although individual withdrawals can have more of an impact on the tournament than in a Swiss. We did need to move players between tournaments following a withdrawal from the Premier before start of play. I rather suspect that a withdrawal from a All-Play-All tournament that isn't offering prize money isn't too disruptive. We would also need a large enough spread of players to avoid any major discrepancies of grading differences . Although it seemed to work well on Sunday. At one point on Sunday we had considered asking the Premier players to play their games to the original timetable, but the pairings were only being displayed a round at a time. It was only after the event I noticed the schedule facility available in Vega.

One thing I was surprised by, unlike an over the board tournament, there were no 'no shows' and no withdrawals.

We are also considering utilising the platform's tournament facilities, although these are quite different to standard Swiss tournaments.

Look out for an announcement of some future tournaments in the near future.

What were the results and where do we see them?

I thought I'd try watching a few games on Saturday morning, logged into chess.com but after 10 minutes gave up trying to find where this event was happening. As Hamish says, links published here directing to games and results are would make a difference.
It would have been difficult to watch the games on Saturday Morning as it was played on Sunday.  

As it didn't use Chess.com as the provider of the tournament structure, as it were, then seeing games when they did take place was difficult anyway. We suspect being "friends" with everyone entered is possibly how to see them but we will have to see.

All the results are here. It's the same link as is on the first page of forum entries about 9 posts down.
It is possible to watch the games but you would need to know the usernames. I think future incarnations probably could have a way to watch the games in a straightforward way but it would require some setting up.
(29-04-2020, 10:15 AM)JMcNicoll Wrote: It would have been difficult to watch the games on Saturday Morning as it was played on Sunday.  

LOL Maybe it was Sunday I checked. TBH  have no idea what day it is anymore  Exclamation
All games are now available, click the section for the matches.  Premier, Major and Minor.