Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess on TV Benidorm
Not sure if this was covered in the bond chess discussion a few months back?.. is it just me or is it a conspiracy that with any chess game on tv, they need to try and sneak an intentional error in?

Benidorm on tv other night - white square on right hand side so Q is on e1.. lost count of amount of times I have seen this.... I think they know that it winds chess players up!
Hmm, check out the board on the Hamilton Chess Club website...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chesshamilton.co.uk/">http://www.chesshamilton.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->
Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing :p
Not so much schadenfreude, more applicable would be a very long German word for the joy of finding out the readership is more extensive than anyone thought.
robin moore Wrote:Hmm, check out the board on the Hamilton Chess Club website...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chesshamilton.co.uk/">http://www.chesshamilton.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

Thanks Robin this is what I was getting at! The people who created the stock image did not err.. it was Mick and Its now out there to see who misses it and who's nerves it gets on. Like fingernails down the black board.

Taking it one step further ..in Benidorm it's a fold out travel board. The only way to play the board set up the correct way round is to play with fold in the middle , ie in between the king and queen.. to quote Peter Kay.. "what's all that about?"

I think we need more examples to see if it is indeed a conspiracy or simlply paranoia

Also there must also be someone on the inside who has been directly told to set it up the wrong way.
Patrick McGovern Wrote:Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing :p
Right Pat (its usually Phil) but…. you have now stumbled onto my no 2 item for room 101.. folk using words I have to google.
I thought I had heard that word before but I was getting mixed up with baldenfruede! Now I realise I have exposed myself to some opprobrium…. especially as neither of you are apostates. , (if you don’t mind me saying)
That said you do suffer from a little obduracy or should that be peripatetic? Sorry that might be a little desultory on my part and if anyone is just picking this up on this this soporific thread I apologise ..I’m certainly no polemicist.
Now my case for rom 101 is merely inchoate and you may well see it as profligacy on my part , mind don’t take this the wrong way , I am just being blithe. I certainly wouldn’t want any internecine. You may be anteduiluvian but I am more sanguine although I am usually more laconic, I think that’s my atavastic side.

Anyway.. Andy H can we get a room 101 section in the noticeboard, one where members can vote for the best one?
I thought Google was a mis-spelling of Googol.
Any one there know for sure?

I reckon Google works better than Googol for the general public. A serendipitous mistake.

Best to remember folks that the Hamilton club website exists for the benefit of existing club members and potential future members. A misaligned chess set looks like serendipity to me. (Single visit to Google should suffice Alex)

The only thing worse than people criticising your web site is people not visiting your web site.

Keep talking about Hamilton chaps. Smile
Phil Thomas Wrote:Keep talking about Hamilton chaps.

Do you mean like this Phil?

Hamilton is a port city in the Canadian province of Ontario. Conceived by George Hamilton when he purchased the Durand farm shortly after the War of 1812, Hamilton has become the centre of a densely populated and industrialized region at the west end of Lake Ontario known as the Golden Horseshoe. On January 1, 2001, the new City of Hamilton was formed through the amalgamation of the former city and the other constituent lower-tier municipalities of the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth with the upper-tier regional government.

Residents of the old city are known as Hamiltonians

:ymdevil:
Phil Thomas Wrote:Keep talking about Hamilton chaps. Smile

Hamilton is a musical with music, lyrics, and book by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The show was inspired by the 2004 biography Alexander Hamilton, by historian Ron Chernow.
The musical made its Off-Broadway debut at The Public Theater in February 2015, where its engagement was sold out.[1] The show transferred to Broadway in August 2015 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. On Broadway, it has received enthusiastic critical acclaim and unprecedented advance box office sales.[2] The Off-Broadway production of Hamilton won the 2015 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical as well as seven other Drama Desk Awards out of 14 total nominations.
Phil Thomas Wrote:Keep talking about Hamilton chaps. Smile

"Diddy" Hamilton

On leaving school Hamilton became a script-writer for the TV series, Portrait of a Star.

In 1960 he became an in-vision television announcer for ABC TV (Associated British Corporation) based in Didsbury, Manchester and appeared with Ken Dodd in the TV series, Doddy's Music Box, acquiring the nickname, 'Diddy'. Throughout the 1960s he hosted shows for the Tyne Tees, Anglia and Westward Television companies.

He joined the then new Thames as an announcer in 1968, subsequently hosting many shows for them including Miss TV Times, TV Times Gala Awards, The World Disco Dance Championships, as well as many outside broadcasts, circus and sports shows. He appeared alongside comedians Benny Hill and Tommy Cooper and hosted Thames TV's showcase weeks on television in New York City and Los Angeles. Later he hosted ATV's Saturday night series, Up For the Cup, and four series of ITV's Hangman-style game show, All Clued Up.

For BBC TV he compered Top of the Pops and Seaside Special and in 1986 the Eurovision Song Contest Previews. For seven years he was the main host of one of the earliest satellite TV stations, Lifestyle.

In February 2012 at the age of 73 he danced to the track "Push it" with fellow DJ Tony Blackburn as contestants on the charity show "Let's Dance for Sport Relief"