Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM proposals
amuir Wrote:Robin
I disagree with much of the proposed constitution and wish to say so at AGM.
The Junior Budget is quite high so members want to know how it is spent.
I played Scottish + Glorney from 1973-77 so why cant players play both in 2015 ?
The last Matt vote was 6-5 , perhaps a rerun ?

Andy M. -can you tell us who voted on the Matthew Turner issue last time?
The last grandparent vote was indeed 6-5, at a council meeting Jan 2013.

The attendees were :-
Andy Howie (AH), Andy McCulloch (AMc), David Deary (DD), Sean Milton (SM), Derek Howie (DHo), Linda McCusker (LM), Gilbert Alomenu (GM), Ken Stewart (KS), Alan Borwell (AB), Alistair White (AW), Dick Heathwood (DH), Andy Muir (AM), Douglas Bryson (DB), Hamish Glen (HG), David Congalton (DC), Gerald Lobley (GL)

------
And the discussion on record was:-

2.3 Grandparent rule – AM
AM If you live in Scotland than you qualify by residency, there has been lots of discussion as to whether having Scottish grandparents should allow you to be picked for Scotland. Is this something we want?
DHo No I think the selection procedures are strong enough as they are. We could have someone who has no connection coming in and taking away places from people who have worked hard for it. If it means the team is weaker then so be it.
AB I have to agree with Derek.
AH In September 2014 it is a distinct possibility that we may become an independent country. In the white paper description of what is Scottish, having a grandparent who is Scottish is sufficient. Any decision we make here may have to be revised after the referendum. We should not be tying down our selectors and anyone who has SCO as their FIDE country should be considered for selection.
SM We have a similar situation with junior selections. Especially up North we have parents on short term secondments meaning their children can be selected.
AB What is best for Scottish chess?
SM Matthew Turner does a lot of good work for the juniors in Scotland. That is a long term benefit and should be taken into consideration.
DB The procedure would be to change the eligibility rules. All sports except Commonwealth sports and Olympics have this rule.
AM I have carried out the polls. Only the 8 people replied. The result was 4 to 4. When you look at the grading of the player for players more than 2300 it was 4 yes 3 no.
DB His registration is SCO. We have allowed him to change to SCO. It isn’t right that we are preventing him from representing us.
DD Matthew Turner’s contribution to Scottish chess should be noted I feel bad about not letting him play for us
AMc in 2006 he said he wants to play as long as he had the agreement of everyone in the team
GL Can we agree it here or does it have to go to the agm?
HG It can be dealt with in council
Vote 5 – 6 against
-------
Strangely enough there is no mention of what was actually voted on.
Thanks Jim Smile Interesting read
Jim Webster Wrote:The last grandparent vote was indeed 6-5, at a council meeting Jan 2013.
AM I have carried out the polls. Only the 8 people replied. The result was 4 to 4. When you look at the grading of the player for players more than 2300 it was 4 yes 3 no.

Why do some people think a person's chess rating is in any way relevant when it comes to exercising your democratic rights as a member in a CS vote? For example, is my vote worth more in a General Election because I have a University degree? Err ...no.
amuir Wrote:These are my proposals.
Any that are seconded will be sent to Andy H for formality.I shall attend in person.

1. The Scottish Champion must be SCO FIDE affiliated.

Seconded
Quote:AM I have carried out the polls. Only the 8 people replied. The result was 4 to 4. When you look at the grading of the player for players more than 2300 it was 4 yes 3 no.

A large CS representative poll by the sounds of it - 8 people!

Almost all would be in contention one way or another?
robin moore Wrote:
amuir Wrote:Robin
I disagree with much of the proposed constitution and wish to say so at AGM.
The Junior Budget is quite high so members want to know how it is spent.
I played Scottish + Glorney from 1973-77 so why cant players play both in 2015 ?
The last Matt vote was 6-5 , perhaps a rerun ?

The junior budget details are in the CS annual finance report. Please explain where ChessScotland spend thousands of pounds on junior training.

Many juniors played both the Scottish and Glorney events in 2015.

Ref junior budget details,

The annual accounts for 2013 to 2014 published on 16th Feb 2015 do not give details of the junior budget. Instead they break down no further than "international trip costs £32,871" This figure appears to be the sum of junior and adult budgets plus I assume parental contributions to junior international trips.

Have I missed financial data published elsewhere ?
Possibly Phil, because like you I can't find any trace of...

"CS pay thousands of pounds each year into junior training."

that your Hamilton clubmate CS director Andy Muir says is the case.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? (or ask Andy to enlighten you?).

I am happy for either of you to explain it to me.
Robin : the adult budget in Olympiad year was £5500. I would imagine junior budget similar and runs to thousands of pounds.

Andy H: for those of my motions that are not seconded can I send you them anyway and ask for seconder at AGM ?
robin moore Wrote:Possibly Phil, because like you I can't find any trace of...

"CS pay thousands of pounds each year into junior training."

that your Hamilton clubmate CS director Andy Muir says is the case.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? (or ask Andy to enlighten you?).

I am happy for either of you to explain it to me.
Robin I suggest you take a large cup of coffee and a kit kat and read this thread carefully. I queried not your quote of Andy Muir's words. Instead I queried the words what you wrote. Monday at 6.46

"The junior budget details are in the CS annual finance report"

Unless there is another published set of figures additional to those published on 16th Feb 2015 this statement is at best misleading. In fact it even implies that Andy Muir may be correct. £32,871spend is consistent with thousands of pounds spent on junior coaching. These are the only figures that you and I have to work with.

Unless ,as I stated earlier, I have missed some published data.