Forums
AGM proposals - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: AGM proposals (/thread-1287.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

AGM proposals - amuir - 27-07-2015

These are my proposals.
Any that are seconded will be sent to Andy H for formality.I shall attend in person.

1. The Scottish Champion must be SCO FIDE affiliated.
2. Having a Scottish grandparent is insufficient eligibility to represent Scotland. This shall not appear in any eligibility rules.
3. Matt Turner will be considered for the Olympiad as a wildcard due to services to chess, subject to agreement of the reamining team members.
4. There shall be no selection oversight position. International Directors shall be solely responsible for selections.
5. Directors shall serve a one-year term. (As in football, bad managers should be sacked promptly)
6. The Scottish Championships shall not overlap the Glorney Cup dates (our top players rarely play in the Glorney and haven't won for 50 years)
7. Our top juniors, having received training, are expected to play in the Glorney Cup each year.

Re: AGM proposals - robin moore - 27-07-2015

Thanks Andy,
Looking forward to the noticeboard discussion on these proposals. Incidentally, I have now realised how hard it is to type when you are laughing so much my lunchtime coffee is running down my nose.

Re: AGM proposals - andyburnett - 27-07-2015

Please note that my agreeing with anything Andy M. says here does not mean that I am 'seconding' any proposal! Some useful points for discussion though

amuir Wrote:These are my proposals.
Any that are seconded will be sent to Andy H for formality.I shall attend in person.

1. The Scottish Champion must be SCO FIDE affiliated.

This is a reasonable idea, worthy of a discussion/vote.

2. Having a Scottish grandparent is insufficient eligibility to represent Scotland. This shall not appear in any eligibility rules.

Personally, I think parentage, rather than grand-parentage, should be the upper limit for eligibility.

3. Matt Turner will be considered for the Olympiad as a wildcard due to services to chess, subject to agreement of the reamining team members.

This one makes no sense to me. If Matthews 'services to chess' warrant an award, there are many ways to reward him without it affecting the chances of Scottish players who are working hard to reach the higher levels and whose chess development would gain a huge boost from receiving an Olympiad spot. Perhaps adding 'subject to the agreement of any player who would otherwise have been given the opportunity' would work though? Wink

4. There shall be no selection oversight position. International Directors shall be solely responsible for selections.

Do you mean that ID's shall be solely responsible for selection of the 'selection panel'? I'm not sure about this one, especially as it's unclear what you mean.

5. Directors shall serve a one-year term. (As in football, bad managers should be sacked promptly)

One year is not long enough to take on such a role and develop it. 2 years is a sensible time-frame.

6. The Scottish Championships shall not overlap the Glorney Cup dates (our top players rarely play in the Glorney and haven't won for 50 years)

This is a good idea in principle but the practicalities are not so simple . Worth discussing and perhaps finding out how our opposition deal with such things?

7. Our top juniors, having received training, are expected to play in the Glorney Cup each year.

If we have a 'national training scheme' or something similar, then we could consider making this a requisite (as other countries do) but there are also other factors to take into account here (funding being a very important one!)

Andy Muir,

Proposals 2 and 5 are already part of the ChessScotland constitution.

Proposal 3- Matt has made his position clear on being considered for selection on numerous occasions.

Proposal 4- Are you suggesting there should not be a selection committee?

Proposal 6 is totally impractical.

Proposal 7- What training? Are ChessScotland funding it?

Re: AGM proposals - amuir - 27-07-2015

robin moore Wrote:Andy Muir,

Proposals 2 and 5 are already part of the ChessScotland constitution.

Proposal 3- Matt has made his position clear on being considered for selection on numerous occasions.

Proposal 4- Are you suggesting there should not be a selection committee?

Proposal 6 is totally impractical.

Proposal 7- What training? Are ChessScotland funding it?

Robin , constitution was rejected.
Although Matt made his position clear, CS have not.
The selection committee & selections should be made by ID not overseer.
It is not impractical to move Scottish.
CS pay thousands of pounds each year into junior training.

Anyway if these are not seconded I am happy for Jacob to win the Scottish, incompetent directors not turning up for meetings, selections made by overseer and Glorney team never to win.

Can someone second these please ?

Andy Muir,

Let me try again.

Your proposals 2 and 5 are part of the present ChessScotland constitution. As you are presently a ChessScotland director I would have thought you may have known that.
I really haven't a clue what you are on about regarding Matt. He has made his position abundantly clear, how many times does he have to state it?
The selection committee must be completely independent of potential players/captains under consideration for selection. I was hoping that recent history would have clarified this to you but apparently not.
The Scottish Championships event cannot be set in stone to suit the Glorney. Why don't you contact the England, Wales and Ireland chess federations and ask them if they will move their events to suit the Glorney dates? Please let CS members know their responses if you do.

Quote:CS pay thousands of pounds each year into junior training

This is news to me. What are these thousands of pounds on junior training spent on exactly?

Re: AGM proposals - Jim Webster - 27-07-2015

robin moore Wrote:Your proposals 2 and 5 are part of the present ChessScotland constitution.

Sorry Robin,
Eligibility, in any form, is not part of the current Chess Scotland Constitution (2012).
It is a separate set of criteria on the CS web pages.

Happy to be corrected that it is not part of the constitution but rather eligibility criteria.

Re: AGM proposals - amuir - 27-07-2015

Robin
I disagree with much of the proposed constitution and wish to say so at AGM.
The Junior Budget is quite high so members want to know how it is spent.
I played Scottish + Glorney from 1973-77 so why cant players play both in 2015 ?
The last Matt vote was 6-5 , perhaps a rerun ?

amuir Wrote:Robin
I disagree with much of the proposed constitution and wish to say so at AGM.
The Junior Budget is quite high so members want to know how it is spent.
I played Scottish + Glorney from 1973-77 so why cant players play both in 2015 ?
The last Matt vote was 6-5 , perhaps a rerun ?

The junior budget details are in the CS annual finance report. Please explain where ChessScotland spend thousands of pounds on junior training.

Many juniors played both the Scottish and Glorney events in 2015.