Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congresses 2021-22
Before I book my October holidays, I wonder what congress organisers are thinking about the chance of events happening this autumn/winter? e.g. Dundee, Oban etc.
(29-07-2021, 10:03 PM)George Neave Wrote: Before I book my October holidays, I wonder what congress organisers are thinking about the chance of events happening this autumn/winter? e.g. Dundee, Oban etc.

Holidays booked. No OTB chess in Scotland this year I guess
Is there any legal or other reason why tournaments can't take place now?
(09-08-2021, 12:05 PM)Alan Tate Wrote: Is there any legal or other reason why tournaments can't take place now?

Legally no, but it's certainly not going to be any easier than pre pandemic, especially for the first few when you have no idea of numbers and someone needs to stump up deposits. I'm assuming we will get league chess back, but not any congresses in 2021. Would love to be wrong though.
(09-08-2021, 07:06 PM)Adam Bremner Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 12:05 PM)Alan Tate Wrote: Is there any legal or other reason why tournaments can't take place now?

Legally no, but it's certainly not going to be any easier than pre pandemic, especially for the first few when you have no idea of numbers and someone needs to stump up deposits. I'm assuming we will get league chess back, but not any congresses in 2021. Would love to be wrong though.

Based on comments here, I think you are right Adam. Currently seems you need to leave Scotland for OTB chess. As they say, the pandemic has been an accelerator of many trends things that were already happening anyway, I hope this is an exception to that rule.
I was thinking that a closed tournament would be a good starting point.