Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edinburgh Blitz tomorrow night
David, lots of questions (sorry!)

Why are only 7 of my 9 games from the evening graded? I also heard it needs 9 games to get a Blitz rating? So everyone who played on the night, should have one by now even if did not have one before?

Is there going to be a Blitz again at the Ayr congress next month?

Did I pick up correctly from another forum post somewhere, you taken over the Ayr Congress from David G? I emailed my entry, other entries have shown up on the list since then but not me.
"Why are only 7 of my 9 games from the evening graded?"

You only played 7 rated opponents, games against unrated players do not count.
(20-04-2017, 02:23 PM)Jim Webster Wrote: "Why are only 7 of my 9 games from the evening graded?"

That is what I am querying though, it was a 9 rounder. Everyone one played 8 or 9 games minimum, there may have been some byes now I think about it. If it is 8 games = a blitz grade then everyone who had never played a Blitz game before the night (which includes myself), should have got a grade. If it is 9 games = a blitz grade, then some byes if an odd number could explain it.
(20-04-2017, 02:32 PM)Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:
(20-04-2017, 02:23 PM)Jim Webster Wrote: "Why are only 7 of my 9 games from the evening graded?"

That is what I am querying though, it was a 9 rounder. Everyone one played 8 or 9 games minimum, there may have been some byes now I think about it. If it is 8 games = a blitz grade then everyone who had never played a Blitz game before the night (which includes myself), should have got a grade. If it is 9 games = a blitz grade, then some byes if an odd number could explain it.

Jonathan you have not understood how the system works.

You can get a FIDE rating based on 5 games but only if those games are against people who had a FIDE rating at the start of the event.
You played 7 people who previously had such a rating so from next month you will also have a FIDE Blitz rating.
(Just to complicate things a bit, players without a blitz rating but with a real FIDE rating count as well in a blitz but not the other way round.  Players who have only a Blitz rating will have no rating in a FIDE rated congress.)

It is possible to play all 9 games in the evening but only meet 4 rated opponents or less.  Anyone in that situation will only get a partial rating.  Also anyone who did not score a point against a FIDE rated player will fail to get a rating no matter how many such players have been encountered.
(20-04-2017, 12:21 PM)Jonathan Livingstone Wrote: David, lots of questions (sorry!)

Why are only 7 of my 9 games from the evening graded? I also heard it needs 9 games to get a Blitz rating? So everyone who played on the night, should have one by now even if did not have one before?

Is there going to be a Blitz again at the Ayr congress next month?

Did I pick up correctly from another forum post somewhere, you taken over the Ayr Congress from David G? I emailed my entry, other entries have shown up on the list since then but not me.
Jonathan, others have explained your FIDE rating question (thanks Jim & Alex).

David Congleton has asked John and I to cover some of his Ayr Congress duties this year, which include me taking the entries. David Congleton remains the Congress Director. If you are not on the entries list, please drop an email to ayr@scotchesstour.co.uk, or have another attempt at the submission form on the scotchesstour website. We have had a glitch on the forwarding of emails, but David has a workaround, although it takes a few days for me to receive the email.

John and I haven't discussed a blitz for Ayr, I am not sure who else is arbiting and we need to make sure we get a break for an evening meal.