Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edinburgh Blitz tomorrow night
Room left for 16 entries on the night, so if you plan on just turning up, be early to guarantee a place.
Thanks for a good night of chess. First time I gave your Blitz events a try. Splendid venue, 40 approx. was a good turn out? Lots of kids there, always good to see. Very efficiently organised too, ran to schedule, was finished by 9.30.... when is the next Edinburgh one?
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:Thanks for a good night of chess. First time I gave your Blitz events a try. Splendid venue, 40 approx. was a good turn out? Lots of kids there, always good to see. Very efficiently organised too, ran to schedule, was finished by 9.30.... when is the next Edinburgh one?

Agreed. It was fun. Where do we see the results?
No idea when results posted. I did forget to mention the very reasonable £10 entry fee makes it good value for money also. Would say that is about the right price setting. Any more might be pushing it.

Going off topic now re entry fees (sorry) but there is at least 3 events on the calendar that I consider to have rather hefty and excessive entry fees and in some cases questionable associated formatting. As a matter of principal as much as anything else I won't even consider these events as there are better and cheaper alternatives.

There seems to be extremes with entry fees on the event calendar, seemingly dependant largely on how they are structured/formatted.

If the Fide Blitz events are good value, then the usually strong 5 round Polytechnic Quickplay on 27 April must be considered a steal, a bargain even at just £5 entry fee.
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:Thanks for a good night of chess. First time I gave your Blitz events a try. Splendid venue, 40 approx. was a good turn out? Lots of kids there, always good to see. Very efficiently organised too, ran to schedule, was finished by 9.30.... when is the next Edinburgh one?

Thanks Jonathan. We enjoyed running it too, although yesterday's event was a little fraught with various separate issues. We managed to get through them, and as you say, we did finish on time, which is what we aim for.

We have an interesting summer of Blitz Chess on the agenda.

On the 17th June, we are organising the Scottish Junior Blitz Championships, an under 11 event in the morning and a FIDE 11-18 event in the afternoon. Alongside these tournaments we will be running two FIDE blitz events, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. All are 9 rounds, so you can play 18 FIDE blitz games on one day! Further details below:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://congress.popmalc.org.uk/congress/15/home">http://congress.popmalc.org.uk/congress/15/home</a><!-- m -->

Our summer series of Friday Evening FIDE Blitz will see us return to Glasgow and Edinburgh again. Dates yet to be arranged.
George Neave Wrote:

Agreed. It was fun. Where do we see the results?

John and I have been playing in the Allegro at Dumfries today. So we haven't been able to prepare anything for publication yet. I have only recently arrived home, so I don't expect to prepare anything before tomorrow.

A report will appear on our Blitz website in due course, but I suspect it will appear on the news page of the Chess Scotland website soon, but I have to prepare the details and email them.

I think I recall handing out prizes to at least four juniors, which was pleasing.
The prize list is now on the news page of the Chess Scotland website.
There will be quite a comprehensive report on Dave Clayton's new events (recently completed and upcoming) in the April issue of Scottish Chess magazine (which has been sent to the printers today). Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to play in one of them at some point! All the best, Andy B
(09-04-2017, 07:33 PM)David Clayton Wrote: The prize list is now on the news page of the Chess Scotland website.

Full results table? Grading?
(18-04-2017, 02:15 PM)George Neave Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 07:33 PM)David Clayton Wrote: The prize list is now on the news page of the Chess Scotland website.

Full results table? Grading?

I have the prize list and a link to the FIDE Rating Report on our web site here.

When on the FIDE site, click 'more info', then the icon by crosstable.