Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Money in chess
Cut n pasting bits of Kevin's post here to reply to certain aspects of it, so should note its not in context of original posting.

Never give free entry to anyone (FM/IM/GMs) for any event
I disagree with Kevin and Andy B here. The masters aren't at the events anyhow. There were none at Glenrothes and the bigger congresses have the odd 2 or 3. Your not saving, nor raising any finance if this was implemented. It should also be up to the Congress to decide, I believe one or two have a no free entry for masters policy already, Dundee if I am not mistaken being one. We should be looking at ways to attract the masters to the congresses. It gives opportunity to us mere mortals to get that rare chance to compete against one, it is good experience that is being lost for younger players?

Increase congress fees by ~20% (still dirt cheap)
In my opinion its not cheap to start with, there is various costs associated with tournaments other than the entry fees. I oppose this, and would anticipate reduced entrant numbers if the costs were raised that much. Perhaps it depends on your circumstances and disposable income as to how you view this?

Most people who play chess have jobs and can afford a few quid to play the game.
I'm not 'most people' as I don't have a job and while I am not elected to speak for all those who don't a job or those who can't afford to play as much chess as they would like to, I feel it is dangerous to adopt this outlook. It could end up like some Gentlemans Club and not be very inclusive to many.

I disagree with a fair bit of Kevin's post but am happy to debate these ideas and have no problem with them being raised. Opinions often seem to be a result of ones own perspective, which in all honesty is very much the case in my own comments here.

Messages In This Thread