Forums

Full Version: Money in chess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Money in chess.
Chess Scotland hasn't got much to go around. The pot gets spread super-thinly.
What could the priorities be?

Here we go....
Just my opinion.

If I had dictatorial influence over how Chess Scotland/congresses spent money (I'll never have the slightest influence as I am not prepared to invest my time in Chess admin (but I believe I'm still allowed an opinion)).

I would:

Never give free entry to anyone (FM/IM/GMs) for any event
Increase congress fees by ~20% (still dirt cheap)
Give £0 to International participants - yes that includes the Olympiad
Give £0 to everything/everyone else Chess Scotland currently finances

So, now I have a completely clean slate and all that saved cash what do I do with it?
Put it all towards supporting junior chess, particularly chess in schools. Every single penny.

Chess Scotland would spend none of its money on adults (including full-time players).

Reasoning?
Most people who play chess have jobs and can afford a few quid to play the game.
The full-time chess players have chosen the lifestyle. They're adults and they know the consequences.
It's a question of priorities. Juniors. Invest for the future.

Well, that should do it.
If the trend on this notice board is anything to go by I look forward to being lambasted with the utmost vitriol. That's OK, because I won't be entering into any pseudo non-debate via the written word.

So feel free, and very best wishes.

Regards,
Kevin.
Having a bad day Kevin? :ymhug:

I agree with your 'no free entry' for titled players. They have the best chance of walking away with the money anyway. The only exception (and I know it's a different scenario) is fees/conditions for norm events such as David Oswald's Winter Festival, etc.

Entry fees really should be (much) higher overall. When I compare chess to golf or any other sport/pastime I've ever enjoyed, then chess is ridiculously under-priced.

I think some money should be spent on adults, but I would limit it to a very (very) small amount for the Olympiad, Euros and Seniors (perhaps just the registration fees).
Certainly no appearance fees (I posted elsewhere recently about the ECF's fees for Olympiad players and they were ridiculously high - probably equal to our entire budget!). Play for your country for pride and honour Smile and pay for it, because our federation is poor!

Apologies for not disagreeing with you Kevin Sad
Personally I think its ok to give free entries to IM GM's

They are putting there grading's on the line and free entry must me one small reason to push and get a final norm.

In reality they can and I assume most give a donation or provide training/ support for free. That way they can play more that they would and chip in as and when they can afford to - they certainly add to the value of any individuals win.

If we are on limited funds (which we are) then we should look at capping adult support but we really could do with more fund raisers who know what doors to chap.
If you want to get more money for chess in Scotland, then you have to be prepared to put some effort into raising it, by writing to companies, business people etc. You also have to be prepared to get a few knock backs.
It can be done. I've did it in order to get to The world blind championships I have participated in.
You cannot expect it to fall on your lap so to speak.
A professional fund raiser is needed. I have said this for years.
I believe this was tried before and the square root of naff all was raised
StevieHilton Wrote:If you want to get more money for chess in Scotland, then you have to be prepared to put some effort into raising it, by writing to companies, business people etc. You also have to be prepared to get a few knock backs.
It can be done. I've did it in order to get to The world blind championships I have participated in.
You cannot expect it to fall on your lap so to speak.
A professional fund raiser is needed. I have said this for years.

Agree with all that. Needs the right person with the time/skills however to get a few results.
well said Kevin and Alex
May I also add prize money should be reduced and redirected elsewhere, for example for the national teams expenses, and generally for the good of the game. IM's etc should get reduced or free entry I'm not in favour of professional fund raisers although I could be persuaded otherwise. It has to be recognised there is little money in chess if any. We are all volunteers but our national team should not be out of pocket. Appearance fees just wont work long term unless a standard appearance rate is universally adopted by our stronger players which I just don't see happening. Any tournament organiser trying to increase the playing strength of their tournament by paying players could be walking a financial tightrope. However any player asked to pay in a tournament for that reason should also not be out of pocket. Perhaps arranging transport and accommodation rather than handing over cash would be a better option
Cut n pasting bits of Kevin's post here to reply to certain aspects of it, so should note its not in context of original posting.

Never give free entry to anyone (FM/IM/GMs) for any event
I disagree with Kevin and Andy B here. The masters aren't at the events anyhow. There were none at Glenrothes and the bigger congresses have the odd 2 or 3. Your not saving, nor raising any finance if this was implemented. It should also be up to the Congress to decide, I believe one or two have a no free entry for masters policy already, Dundee if I am not mistaken being one. We should be looking at ways to attract the masters to the congresses. It gives opportunity to us mere mortals to get that rare chance to compete against one, it is good experience that is being lost for younger players?

Increase congress fees by ~20% (still dirt cheap)
In my opinion its not cheap to start with, there is various costs associated with tournaments other than the entry fees. I oppose this, and would anticipate reduced entrant numbers if the costs were raised that much. Perhaps it depends on your circumstances and disposable income as to how you view this?

Most people who play chess have jobs and can afford a few quid to play the game.
I'm not 'most people' as I don't have a job and while I am not elected to speak for all those who don't a job or those who can't afford to play as much chess as they would like to, I feel it is dangerous to adopt this outlook. It could end up like some Gentlemans Club and not be very inclusive to many.

I disagree with a fair bit of Kevin's post but am happy to debate these ideas and have no problem with them being raised. Opinions often seem to be a result of ones own perspective, which in all honesty is very much the case in my own comments here.
A couple of posters contributed since started composing this so apologies if already mentioned..

Andy is of course correct that the professional fundraiser approach has been tried in the past and was unsuccessful. Particularly in regard to the recent loss of our grant, I would suggest it's now certainly worth revisiting and discussing any ideas that may lead to a contribution to CS funds.

Some things worth at least discussing and possibly exploring...

Are CS in a position to employ a "professional" fundraiser as an organisation? What are the tax/ "business" implications?

Are we in a position to employ a "professional" fundraising organisation to act for us on a commission basis?

Would it financially benefit CS if we had charitable status?

A little background of trying to raise funds in the past....

Many folks over the years have tried to raise sponsorship from companies and organisations that would be recognised distinctly as Scottish. Banks, financial investment and pensions plc's , quality food companies (I particularly liked this one) but no joy.

A couple of examples from other European nations....

The Spanish junior squad is sponsored by Danone, the dairy foods organisation.

I believe the Turkish Junior squad have the support of a Turkish bank that had previously been involved in football sponsorship but because of problems within the game switched to an alternative that they considered to be family friendly.
A professional fundraiser is feasible if paid on a commission basis only
The Braille association has used one for years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4