Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Universities 2013
As secretary of the club, I was present at the vote on this last year. Basically at the AGM, the proposal was made that did people want it ECF rated or not, and if so that membership would be compulsory. Now, when you are the only Scottish Uni there, 1 v 17 is hardly going to carry any weight, and the vote went through, despite my objection. Yes, the event can be Scottish rated (in fact last year I had to submit the data to Dougie myself), but that hardly seems the point. Being FORCED to join a federation to play an event is ridiculous. The game fee is stupid enough as it is, but even that is more reasonable. Why should we have to find money from somewhere to join an organisation that none of us agree with, nor want any association to? Could you imagine if roles were switched and ECF members were forced to join CS to play up here? All hell would break loose.

As Jonny says, we were very tempted to not enter a team this year, but in the end, turning up and winning is a much better course of action than throwing the toys out of the pram.

andyburnett Wrote:I would complain also to the Dean of Edinburgh University about the funding issue and/or make it public knowledge that our 'top' university doesn't recognise the worth of our most cerebral of games!

He knows. Getting funding from the Uni is like getting blood from a stone.

Messages In This Thread