Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Chess Championships 2013
Alex McFarlane Wrote:Probably my final reply of the day!!
A play-off is not fair either unless staged as a separate event. Playing at a reduced time control immediately after the event is not a good idea. You are choosing a winner under different criteria. Also imagine one player has a quick win and his opponent has a long drawn out game. Immediately one player has a significant advantage.
(On a purely personal point we also need to get packed up. Dougie will atest to the fact that the gear used occupied 4 cars at the end of the event. Two of them to overflowing.

For years we had a closed championship. The result was a dead event which was only getting worse. Moving to the Open format revived the event. I accept it is not ideal, but in the absence of companies throwing money our way a closed event is just not viable. The difference in overall costs between a closed Championship and the International Open is very small, especially when increased entries are taken into consideration.

Finally, I hope everyone will again join with me in thanking the anonymous benefactor.

You are choosing a winner where skill actually comes into it, surely this is an improvement!?! At least it's chess that decides the outcome... and exciting chess at that (good for the sponsors - film it, put it up on Youtube... mention the sponsors on the video... stick it on Facebook.... etc.), much like a penalty shoot out in football. I also don't see a problem with a player winning quickly having the advantage, he won quickly after all, seems like a just reward.
In Gibraltar the last round starts a bit earlier, and the playoffs take place as soon as possible, even if there are other games still going on. I should think this would get everyone away at a reasonable time. But hey, what do I know Smile

I was thinking having a closed tournament alongside an open, but if it's not financially viable then there's not much to do..

Thanks to the anonymous benefactor indeed.

Messages In This Thread