Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest from the GA
Craig Pritchett Wrote:Like Mike (Scott), I agree that Andy B's choice of words re: Nigel Short are distasteful and I'd prefer to see them deleted from this thread. I have known Nigel since he was about 9 or so and played against him several times.

I may not agree with all Nigel says and how he may sometimes have made some of his points - we are all, of course, in any case in glass houses on that one and few can say that they may never have overstated whatever case they held - but I have never found Nigel to be anything other than a very easy person to get on with and have never felt that he was not open to rational argument on any point.

Moreover he really has done an awful lot for chess in the UK and not just England.

Sorry Craig,
I don't see how your own not terribly close relationship with Short is relevant to whether my words require censoring or not but if it was such a big problem for you then you could have just asked me to remove/edit the post in a PM.

Has he really done a huge amount for chess in the UK? :\ Even if he has, it doesn't excuse much of what he come out with over the years.

I'm not overly keen on the censorship which seems to creeping in and around chess forums these days.
No-one thought to censor Short's 'obituary' of Tony Miles wherein he wrote "I obtained a measure of revenge not only by eclipsing Tony in terms of chess performance but also by sleeping with his girlfriend, which was definitely satisfying but perhaps not entirely gentlemanly". =o

Messages In This Thread