Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson 2012-13
Quote:3. Any existing or new "80 point rule" probably needs to be clear that it refers to CS and / or FIDE rating - I'd say it should nowadays probably be either. It also needs clarification as to whether the base rating used for any player is the "published" rating or the adjusted rating as it changes within rating periods.

I'd prefer 'published', partly to ensure continuity within the same competition. With regards to CS/FIDE - at the moment the tournament isn't FIDE-rated, so I don't think FIDE ratings should come into it at all. That said, and as I've argued on previous occasions, I think it should be, and if that were the case I agree that both should be acceptable. I agree entirely with Craig's point that far too much of the debate on this subject is more than a bit too vague.

I'd also support the 'publish teams the night before the match' position - it seems a fine compromise between allowing teams to adjust for the vagaries of the rating system and different players' preferences on the one hand, and giving one team or the other a preparation disadvantage on the other.

Messages In This Thread