Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympiad Captain
David, as always your point is well researched and well made.

Alex McFarlane Wrote:I don't know which Scots applied for the position nor do I know if anything other than fares are being paid.
All I can say is that if Keith is doing this for expenses (or even slightly more) then Chess Scotland has got a very good deal. The fixed budget for this event, I assume, means that effectively the players are covering his costs since they would have benefitted from any savings achieved by not having a Captain. Accommodation will be paid for by the organisers.

Alex, irrespective of whether the event has a fixed budget it ultimately comes from my membership fee and the fees of all other CS members and the fees for grading our games etc. As such, it is open to challenge as is only correct.

Also, speaking as an Accountant - just because there is a budget doesn't mean you spend it all! Furthermore, I recall a debate on this forum over the international budget vs the international junior budget and if I remember correctly the international budget was increased.

If it was increased in part to allow the appointment of GM Arkell then I am disappointed because this was not an argument put forward at the time to increase the budget. I believe it could also be argued that I was misled on this issue as were many other members.

Some questions:
1) How much is it costing? I would like actual pounds and pence.
2) Who else applied for the role of Captain?
3) What is the Captain's job description? (Alex, I know you've tried to detail this but I'd like to see where it is formalized and a response from the International Director)
4) Have we had Captains in the past and who were they?
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread