Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MacIsaac National Rapidplay Tournament
That's great and all but still just 17 players. A 10 player Open and a 7 player Major. The TD accounted for 10% of the open entries for goodness sakes. I am sure the venue was lovely, and presumably rather spacious with such a low turnout.

If we now measure a 17 player turn out for a national event a success, then it really is time to turn off the lights on Scottish Chess, and for us all to go home. The entry deadline extension was in itself a recognition this was not a good turnout.

I am sure with a more sensible entry fee, the entries could have been doubled. I played a blind player this week, in the same match there were kids and a female playing. That is all that is good about chess, it is suppose to be inclusive and any size/age/gender can join in. Is a shame to see another over priced event put people off. That such an event runs at a loss is not a great advert for reasons to take out CS membership IMHO either.

Ian, if we forget all the other bits such as cosy venue, are you really satisfied with the 17 player turn out and considering that aspect a success?

I appreciate you are a volunteer and take my hat of to you and others for that, but I just can't idle on this quietly when it is being labelled as a success. So no personal beef here and if we play together at a sensibly priced, inclusive tournament somewhere in the future, I would happily buy you a drink and discuss face to face.

Messages In This Thread