Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dundee & Angus Congress notice
Well anyway ...

Andy - possibly a legal issue in theory but there was nothing in writing (other than past invoices indicating a trend) but not a path we'd go down. Mutual trust has been a common theme until now.

A little flesh on the historical bones - I have dealt with a succession of functional managers who all understood the point that I made every year - better to have an event that makes them a modest profit every year than a one-off biggy (like a wedding) and no certainty of getting this every year, particularly at a time of year when they are almost always quiet. In addition to the room hire they also got money from the sale of weekend passes (at next to no cost to them) and income from food and drink - not just the 'special' menus but other offerings and not a little alcohol.

I wouldn't advocate a boycott of the food not least because it would be counterproductive. Although there are other convenient outlets nearby - a point regularly stressed - many players would perhaps struggle to find time between rounds. I think the point would be lost on current management anyway and it has been made very clear that there is no possibility of negotiating a lower rate in the future.

Re DLL generally Edinburgh Congress used the Newhaven club and paid what I, and they, considered exorbitent fees so perhaps the local managers don't have as much leeway as they once did.

There are a couple of other points that I would happily talk about but won't put into print.

I am hoping for a good entry now just for the satisfaction of going out with a bang. Come one, come all!

Messages In This Thread