Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM proposals
Hi Alan

“I think insisting on CS membership as a qualification for the SCO code is a step too far.”

My motion (final submitted version below) doesn’t actually concern SCO codes, except to say management can handle them with their procedures (which nevertheless must not contravene the criteria on eligibility):

"These principal requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s rules for eligibility for national Championships and rules for eligibility for international selection, and into future Operating Procedures that relate to eligibility and the allocation of future FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes".

So the required criteria go into the rules for eligibility, but these criteria could only be required for allocation of the SCO code IF that code is intended to guarantee eligibility. This follows from the logic - otherwise, the SCO code would contravene the selection criteria !

Just to be clear – the CS membership requirement is only part of my motion because it is part of the proposed new constitution, so it’s obviously part of the current management/CWP thinking. I’m neutral on it myself.

Cheers

AGM Proposal on eligibility:

To be eligible to compete for any Scottish individual national championship title (excluding primary school events), or to be eligible to represent Scotland in any international competition a person must be a member of Chess Scotland and must meet at least one of the prevailing eligibility requirements relating to

(i) birth - i.e. be born in Scotland,
(ii) bloodline - parent born in Scotland (or grandparent if so determined by a vote of CS members), or
(iii) residence - i.e. have lived in Scotland for the requisite number of years [currently 2].

These principal requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s rules for eligibility for national Championships and rules for eligibility for international selection, and into future Operating Procedures that relate to eligibility and the allocation of future FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes. The criteria used and/or future Operating Procedures shall also deal with further parameters of these eligibility requirements, and other issues that arise (such as a shorter residency requirements for juniors, any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland, players who have relinquished their SCO code etc).

For international selection, additional criteria may be set by the tournament organisers concerned (including age and rating limits).
[END]

Messages In This Thread