Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM proposals
The last grandparent vote was indeed 6-5, at a council meeting Jan 2013.

The attendees were :-
Andy Howie (AH), Andy McCulloch (AMc), David Deary (DD), Sean Milton (SM), Derek Howie (DHo), Linda McCusker (LM), Gilbert Alomenu (GM), Ken Stewart (KS), Alan Borwell (AB), Alistair White (AW), Dick Heathwood (DH), Andy Muir (AM), Douglas Bryson (DB), Hamish Glen (HG), David Congalton (DC), Gerald Lobley (GL)

------
And the discussion on record was:-

2.3 Grandparent rule – AM
AM If you live in Scotland than you qualify by residency, there has been lots of discussion as to whether having Scottish grandparents should allow you to be picked for Scotland. Is this something we want?
DHo No I think the selection procedures are strong enough as they are. We could have someone who has no connection coming in and taking away places from people who have worked hard for it. If it means the team is weaker then so be it.
AB I have to agree with Derek.
AH In September 2014 it is a distinct possibility that we may become an independent country. In the white paper description of what is Scottish, having a grandparent who is Scottish is sufficient. Any decision we make here may have to be revised after the referendum. We should not be tying down our selectors and anyone who has SCO as their FIDE country should be considered for selection.
SM We have a similar situation with junior selections. Especially up North we have parents on short term secondments meaning their children can be selected.
AB What is best for Scottish chess?
SM Matthew Turner does a lot of good work for the juniors in Scotland. That is a long term benefit and should be taken into consideration.
DB The procedure would be to change the eligibility rules. All sports except Commonwealth sports and Olympics have this rule.
AM I have carried out the polls. Only the 8 people replied. The result was 4 to 4. When you look at the grading of the player for players more than 2300 it was 4 yes 3 no.
DB His registration is SCO. We have allowed him to change to SCO. It isn’t right that we are preventing him from representing us.
DD Matthew Turner’s contribution to Scottish chess should be noted I feel bad about not letting him play for us
AMc in 2006 he said he wants to play as long as he had the agreement of everyone in the team
GL Can we agree it here or does it have to go to the agm?
HG It can be dealt with in council
Vote 5 – 6 against
-------
Strangely enough there is no mention of what was actually voted on.

Messages In This Thread