Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motion 1 (wording to go to Council)
Matthew Turner Wrote:Only being semi-serious if I am deaf can I refuse to play someone who is blind?

no as rules (and guidelines ) stand no one able bodied or disabled can refuse to play an opponent on any grounds other than arbiter error. If anyone does refuse, they can expect to be defaulted. I understand the point you are making but to allow a disabled player grounds to refuse over an able bodied player's rights is discriminatory against any able bodied player. Hopefully the arbiter can make judgement calls on what resources may be available to make such a pairing possible.

I always thought the Mick Hanley rule always applied i.e rule 1 the arbiter is always right, etc. The point I am making is that I believed the arbiter always has some leeway in making the draw, but once the draw is made there is no redraw unless the arbiter accepts a mistake has been made. There is absolutely no redraw on the basis of personality clash or ill well on the players part.

I also spoke to a senior director today whose opinion is basically that even with FIDE tournaments, an arbiter only has to try his best to accommodate disabled players. If the arbiter/organiser fails, there is no penalty. The phase used was that "a guideline is not an instruction"

A player refusing to play an opponent is separate from the discussion on this thread. By all means lets create a separate thread on this if a serious discussion so us to comment on

Messages In This Thread