Forums

Full Version: Motion 1 (wording to go to Council)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Morning Everyone.

Some great work on Motion 1. Is really good to see what we can do here and people have noticed. I intend (with Steves approval of course) to take the wording to Council in the form: Proposed Andy (on behalf of the noticeboard!) Seconded Steve

Looking through the posts I have the following wording which I ask you to continue refining Big Grin

CS GUIDELINES – Proposed for CS organised events

1 These guidelines shall be used for all tournaments run by Chess Scotland

2. No one has the right to refuse to meet either a disabled player against whom he has been correctly paired or an able bodied player against whom they have been correctly paired

3 All chess venues should ideally be accessible to all. Failing that an alternative venue with full supervision for those who cannot access the nominated venue would be acceptable.

4 The entry form and website listing(s) should ask whether any potential competitor has an impairment that will require special circumstances. The competitor should inform the organisers about any special circumstances as soon as possible before the start of the event. The less advance notice given to the organiser, the less the competitor can expect cooperation.

5. No disabled player shall be penalised in accordance with the Laws of Chess because of disability.

6. Any disabled competitor, who reasonably requests in time the placing of their equipment in a particular seat or orientation, has the right to do so - provided that they does not disadvantage their opponent or other competitors. The event organiser must ensure the needs of both players are catered for.

7. In any events solely for disabled players there should be a tournament physician, if possible

The tournament director and the chief arbiter shall address sympathetically any requirements (preferably stated well in advance) for assistance with
• Accessing refreshments
• Pressing the clock
• Size of print on official notices.
• Size of scoresheets
• Any other assistance required by the disabled player.

Frequently these requirements will be addressed by the disabled player supplying their own assistant.

However, if the opponent is acting as an assistant the arbiter may decide to give him extra thinking time.

8. After making the pairings the Arbiter shall decide manually on which board each player shall play: Visually impaired players should always play at the same board as unless they request otherwise. Players in wheelchairs require a larger space but not necessarily 3 m wide aisles throughout the venue as implicated in the FIDE guidelines.

9 Assistants should
• Have at least a minimum knowledge of chess.
• Know the name of the pieces in the disabled player’s language.
• Inform the player when they are leaving the chess board temporarily.
• . Where necessary record the moves: This can be a useful tool for the arbiter.

10 Time Trouble
In a time trouble situation featuring a visually disabled players the arbiter should bear in mind that the opponent, if not disabled, can reply almost immediately.

The competition rules should state: If a visually disabled player has less than five minutes left at any stage of a time control, then he does not have to keep score, even when there is an increment of 30 seconds or more. After the time trouble, they must then update their scoresheet.
First suggestion from me. These are to be guidelines, as such should it not be for all events and not just for Chess Scotland events. CS events we can force the guidelines (a point I made yesterday). Should we not be giving this as best practice for other leagues and congresses?

I would modify the start to read

CS GUIDELINES

1 These guidelines are for the use of all Chess events in Scotland to assist both organisers and players with a disability.
Andy Howie wrote...

"CS events we can force the guidelines (a point I made yesterday)."

What does this mean exactly?
I agree Andy, but I think you should also consult the new disability officer as well Big Grin for his thoughts
Rule 2 is just unnecessarily wordy. Why not just say No player has the right to refuse meet a player against whom they has been correctly paired. At present you are singling out disability, why not race religion or gender?

Rule 5 Can you explain what this actually means. Can you envision a circumstance where it would be invoked?
robin moore Wrote:Andy Howie wrote...

"CS events we can force the guidelines (a point I made yesterday)."

What does this mean exactly?

For a Chess Scotland event we can make the guidelines compulsory should we choose. We can't force that onto leagues or congresses as policy but we can make them recommendations. I would prefer (and the AGM seems to back that view) that these should be Guidelines
Matthew Turner Wrote:Rule 2 is just unnecessarily wordy. Why not just say No player has the right to refuse meet a player against whom they has been correctly paired. At present you are singling out disability, why not race religion or gender?

Rule 5 Can you explain what this actually means. Can you envision a circumstance where it would be invoked?

Matt, this is guidelines for Disabled players so we are kind of singling them out but I do take the point!

I know of a league that would penalise a disabled player who could not score by taking time off their clock so I actually do know of circumstances where this happens
"5. No disabled player shall be penalised in accordance with the Laws of Chess because of disability."

Andy Howie wrote
"I know of a league that would penalise a disabled player who could not score by taking time off their clock so I actually do know of circumstances where this happens"

Is it a law of chess that you get penalised time for not being able to record your game? Surely this is just a local (and rather silly) rule. The guidelines would therefore do nothing to stop it?
They are not allowed to do it now thanks to the laws of chess...
You may also have a disability where control of your hands could cause pieces to be dropped or misplaced, guideline 5 then allows for repeated occasions of this to be ignored in terms of penalties.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10