Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Junior Chess (from their facebook page)
Andy,

Like you when I helped at school I didn't personally charge a fee and never would. (games weren't graded though).

Derek,

I suggest it would be reasonable for part of any fees paid to the organiser(s) at Lanarkshire schools and similar to be used to grade games. As I have said a couple of posts previously, there are at least four options available, all of which seem to me to have some degree of merit.
robin moore Wrote:Derek,

I suggest it would be reasonable for part of any fees paid to the organiser(s) at Lanarkshire schools and similar to be used to grade games. As I have said a couple of posts previously, there are at least four options available, all of which seem to me to have some degree of merit.

All of your options seem to involve money which isn't available.

Money that gets paid to the organiser? Any schools chess I've been involved in (school clubs, Glasgow schools chess league) had no money paid to any organiser. As Andy says, he doesn't get paid and most others don't either.
Derek Howie Wrote:

All of your options seem to involve money which isn't available.

Money that gets paid to the organiser? Any schools chess I've been involved in (school clubs, Glasgow schools chess league) had no money paid to any organiser. As Andy says, he doesn't get paid and most others don't either.

Derek,

I think you will find that options...

2/ Create your own grading system. (could be an interesting maths lesson!)

and

4/ Enjoy playing chess as before but don't grade games.

don't on the face of it appear to require any money at all.

There are organisers who do get paid and it would seem reasonable for a part of that fee to be used for ChessScotland grading.

I think you will find that options...

2/ Create your own grading system. (could be an interesting maths lesson!)

and

4/ Enjoy playing chess as before but don't grade games.

don't on the face of it appear to require any money at all.

I didn't treat them as serious. You're suggesting that each organisation/school/school district have their own grading system or junior chess doesn't get graded, neither of which should be treated as options.

robin moore Wrote:There are organisers who do get paid and it would seem reasonable for a part of that fee to be used for ChessScotland grading.
And I guess we all know you're trying to have a go at Michael Hanley (again). i-)

The issue of whether junior chess is graded and whether there are charges is a serious subject and the childish attitudes and personal vendettas (on both sides) do nothing to enhance junior chess.
robin moore Wrote:Indeed. Would someone be kind enough to explain why ChessScotland's members subscriptions are being used to support a database system to grade SJC events for free, an organisation that is not affiliated to ChessScotland and is in fact openly hostile to them.

I'd also dispute the SJC is openly hostile to CS. If that was the case, would 2 of its members have given up their Saturday afternoon last weekend to assist CS with a project?
While discussing the principle of charging fees for grading junior games, some very important aspects need to be considered...

1/ Is it going to create more work for Douglas (CS grader) than is thought worthwhile?

2/ Is it going to create more work for David C (CS finance) than is reasonable?

On part 2/ if it was possible, it would seem like a good idea to "ring fence" any junior grading fees to be used for future junior chess.
Andy Howie Wrote:
Quote:If Lanarkshire schools chess pay a fee to the organiser(s) would it be reasonable to suggest that Lanarkshire schools are perhaps under the false impression that part of that fee is used to grade their games?

If they don't choose? The School I work with I do for nothing! I am with Derek, I would like to see Schools Chess exempt from this.

Michael Hanley does not post on this notice board. He is far too busy providing around 50% of the grading data input to Dougie Bryson (the national grader) from the whole of Chess in Scotland and currently project managing the well known SJC created and controlled CFK national finals next weekend.

Let me, instead, respond to Robin's impertinent question on Michael's behalf

Robin has clearly implied that Michael receives fee for running the Lanarkshire schools event. And further to that Robin implies that Michael misappropriates the expenses. To the best of my knowledge (and this includes the day's help I donated this season) none of the control team receives any expenses apart from a little food eaten on the go. And if lucky a cup of coffee or two and if really lucky a small kit kat *(2 fingers)
The majority of these games are under 12 and usually 7+ rounds in one day with very low entry fees- they attract high volume of entries because of this.

These events provide feeder for new talent and long term CS membership and other congresses.

The kids are not interested in CS/SJC politics, just having fun.

I am not in favour of charging grading fees for such events.
Without getting involved in the meat-and-bones of Scottish junior chess arguments, I really don't think that the majority of junior events should be graded for the main list anyway.

Grading 20 minute games in the main list distorts it, 1 hour per player should be the minimum time control, all other games ought to be graded on the allegro list.
Is it possible that someone from Chess Scotland could possibly advise either myself or the parents of Marco D'Alessio that he has a confirmed place on The Primary Individual (26-28 June). Despite countless emails to the junior home director, 6 or 7 telephone calls and having posted the cheque covering the cost, the parents dont yet have any peace of mind on this matter!