Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Seniors Team Championship - Sibenik 2014
In the third round yesterday, Scotland 1 drew 2-2 with Austria Vienna 2 with Ian Robertson winning and Peter Jamieson losing with the other two games drawn. Scotland 2 lost by 1-3 to Austria - Neiderosterrich, with Alastair White drawing on board 1 and my opponent drawing by perpetual check after I missed best winning sacrifice in time scramble both against higher rated players with Douglas McKerracher and Ian Marks losing.
Played quickly through the games. Alan did indeed completely outplay his opponent, who was very fortunate that he was "allowed" to scramble out with a perpetual check (didn't know about the mutual time-trouble, though!). Too bad. But good luck again to all today!
Great result for Scotland 1 today. 3.5-0.5 against one of the various German teams. Good to see Peter Jamieson off the mark with a win against one of the great ex-world correspondence champions. Draw for tomorrow seems reasonably kind v one of the two Finnish national teams. Peter will face another GM. Probably on the live boards. Good luck again!
Oops! In haste on last post, I got my various Finnish teams mixed up!! The top two do each have a GM on board 1, but Scotland 1 plays one of the lesser teams and not on live boards. On plus side, Scotland 1 outgrade their opponents comfortably ... and are already 1.5-0.5 ahead after less then 3 hours play. Maybe a GM on board 1 tomorrow ... if a high winning score today?

Shock of today is the miniature Cebalo-Vasiukov ... worth looking up and is on the live boards today. Two former senior world champions (and GMs) produce a fine queen sacrifice and (a far from trivial) mate for White in only 13 moves. Vasiukov, a very enterprising and original player took a step too far on the wild side of a sharp 1 d4 f5 2 Bg5 Dutch.
Scotland 1 v England 1 this afternoon (and on live boards). Also Scotland 2 v England 2
On ratings there is little between the respective 1s and 2s. Interesting!
Scotland 1 drew with England 1 with Peter losing and Philip winning with other two games drawn. Peter is not well and is unable to play in last two rounds (doctors orders) Scotland 2 lost narrowly to England 2. I beat Stewart Reuben and Douglas drew with Peter Wood. Alastair lost after having a winning advantage and Ian lost after having a much superior opening forcing his opponents king to e7 in first few moves. Having not played winning sacrifices in my last 3 games (knight, queen and rook!!) it was nice to convert this time!

Tomorrow the depleted Scotland 1 will play the strong Austria 1 team and Scotland 2 will play BSW DBAG 2.
Very sad to hear about Peter's health and I trust he'll rest and recover as soon as possible. He took the hot spot on top board, ahead of Phil, originally down to play there but recently unhappy about a dip in form. Phil has, however, blossomed at board 2, gaining a lot of ELO points. He won imperiously yesterday.

Unfortunately Alan Scrimgour probably missed at least one clear win, which would have meant a 2.5-1.5 win against England 1 that would have been fully deserved on the balance of play overall. Go to the website and replay his game. Watching it live at the middlegame point where Alan's opponent (in desperate trouble and very short of time) played ...Ne5, I thought Alan could simply play dxe5, and if ...Bxc5; Qf3 Bf8 (apparently forced); Qxf7+ Kh8, and now h3 is probably simplest.

As Black must then avoid ...Qxa4? (winning back the pawn) because of Bh6! and wins. So Black's queen is temporarily tied to the b1-h7 diagonal (needs to be in touch with g6 or g4, in the event of the Bh6 idea). And it therefore looks as if White has a clear extra pawn in a good position, as his king has an escape square on h2 and he has a nasty Rd7 idea, followed by developing his king's rook, aiming for an eventual, almost certainly winning R+B, R or B plus an extra pawn (and better king) endgame.

Alan probably also had good chances to win later on but his opponent proved slippery and escaped the worst to draw. Alan and Ian Robertson are both proving excellent debutants!
Well done guys - keep it up !

Whats best site for the live games - could do with prominent link

Thanks

Alex
Sibenik web-site. Link to live games and PGN (lags a bit): see the Sibenik news item in the news box at the CS website homepage ... and click. Scotland 1 v Austria today on live games.
Just tuned in to see what appeared to be three quick draws on Boards 2-4 of Austria v Scotland 1. Am I an old sentimentalist, or would that represent an act of sportsmanship to acknowledge the fact that Peter Jamieson's unfortunate illness meant a walkover for Austria on Board 1? If so, well done Austria!

Well done, too, to the Scots - both our teams are doing their bit to keep the saltire flying high. Keep it going!

George - the man with the Westies