Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens - what next?
Keith Rose Wrote:Andy B - it (they, Spens & Rosebowl also) ultimately come under Home Director (Open). Andy M offered to run these events but this is in a non-ID (Open) capacity.

Thanks for clarifying Keith. So any suggestions/proposals I might have should be directed to you and you would be responsible for any decisions implemented? (Notwithstanding AGM approval)
amuir Wrote:George: no live broadcast, Alistair Maxwell is arbiter for the day.
However if I knew how to do it and funding was available it would be done.
Should be a cracking final. I hope the trophies will make it to Grangemouth as the celebration photos in recent years have been good.

On the funding point, what are costs? I believe someone kindly donated the equipment already so the major costs are covered? A web link maybe but really is that such big deal fro 5 hours? The appearance of these boards has been gradually disappearing this year. Regularly we hear about lack of sponsorship, what ideas to raise funds etc on this board. Well, one rather obvious point is you get no money if you are invisible. These boards should be great opportunity to make chess more visible so why not train all CS arbiters how to use them? If there is one event in calendar crying out for live coverage surely the Richardson final is the one?
"Well, one rather obvious point is you get no money if you are invisible. These boards should be great opportunity to make chess more visible so why not train all CS arbiters how to use them?"

+1
Why not train willing players, even...
:p
So the final will be played on green and white plastic in Grangemouth. I can barely contain my excitement.
Alan Tate Wrote:So the final will be played on green and white plastic in Grangemouth. I can barely contain my excitement.

Hopefully next year Keith Rose, should he be willing to continue as Home Director (Open), will be able to up the standards somewhat. Personally I have always found Grangemouth to be a soul-less venue, far from public transport links and the least enjoyable place to play chess ever (apologies to Dougie Will and the G/mouth posse - you guys are great!)

Last weekend's Edinburgh Congress venue (for the Premier) would be ideal from a comfort point of view (though perhaps not from a cost/central venue perspective?). I'd be happy to chip in £5 towards the costs - if every finalist did likewise we might have more options for the big day?
David Lloyd is nice but for me Edinburgh ticks all the boxes - nice venue and playing conditions, and free as far as I am aware.
For anyone wanting to learn. Start reading up on Zigbee Networks. you then need to learn how to mange concurrent wireless networks and be able to configure them so you can set them in available channels (that involves identifying and scanning the 2.4 GHz spectrum to work out what is free) and that is before you even set the kit up.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
And there is the added complication that the kit apart from the boards and receivers are my own so we would need CS to buy scanners, computer etc etc so there is additional expenses... I am working on getting it functioning on a tablet at the moment. Hit a few roadblocks but getting there
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Alan Tate Wrote:David Lloyd is nice but for me Edinburgh ticks all the boxes - nice venue and playing conditions, and free as far as I am aware.

If you mean Edinburgh Chess Club, it's not big enough for ALL the finals together, and isn't (always) free as far as I am aware.