Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gibraltar 2014
Andy Howie Wrote:I think I am being wooshed here. What is the Nokia Gambit?

Might be wrong, but I suspect it's his phone going off?
I was hoping that wasn't the case
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Alan Tate is doing well so far. Although he lost today to a strong GM, he beat another yesterday and drew with a GM the day before also. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://chess-results.com/tnr120746.aspx?lan=1&art=9&fedb=SCO&fed=SCO&wi=821&snr=118">http://chess-results.com/tnr120746.aspx ... 21&snr=118</a><!-- m -->

I have a question regarding TPR's that someone may be able to answer.
Alan's 1st round opponent was only rated 1561 - had he not played her at all, he would be performing at 2500+ so far, so....

a) with regard to GM norm possibilities, can his 1st round result be ignored? And also

b) given the large grading prizes on offer at Gibraltar, could beating this 1561 opponent cost someone a lot of money through no fault of their own?
andyburnett Wrote:I have a question regarding TPR's that someone may be able to answer.
Alan's 1st round opponent was only rated 1561 - had he not played her at all, he would be performing at 2500+ so far, so....

a) with regard to GM norm possibilities, can his 1st round result be ignored? And also

"1.46c
For the purposes of norms, the minimum rating (adjusted rating floor) for the opponents shall be as follows:
Grandmaster 2200
International Master 2050
Woman Grandmaster 2000
Woman International Master 1850"

So for GM norm purposes, the 1561 will count as a 2200.
Jonathan Edwards Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:I have a question regarding TPR's that someone may be able to answer.

"1.46c
For the purposes of norms, the minimum rating (adjusted rating floor) for the opponents shall be as follows:
Grandmaster 2200
International Master 2050
Woman Grandmaster 2000
Woman International Master 1850"

So for GM norm purposes, the 1561 will count as a 2200.

Aha, thanks Jonathan...I actually knew this now that you have reminded me Smile Why is it that I can remember the moves of games I played 20 years ago, but can't remember...errrr...well, that's my point Tongue
looks like a great tournament! Apparently Eric Hansen won the U2650 grading prize... ridiculous scenes!