Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Festival 2023
Some 'big' matches today and concluding rounds tomorrow. Go (all four) junior Scotland teams! 

One young Scottish world champion in action. We have some very bright (female and male) prospects on show. Good luck!

Watch live or better still visit the excellent venue and spectate!
I'm afraid that spectators are not allowed in the playing venue.

This is common in junior international matches and greatly reduces the unsubstantiated claims of cheating.

(When parents are allowed in you can safely bet that there will be at least one accusation "My Son/Daughter's opponent is getting advice from XXX". Usually the evidence used to back up the claim is very conclusive e.g. 'they are winning and shouldn't be'.)
It looks to be a very good time to be Junior Director or President at the moment. Although the crowds are not allowed to watch in person, there is online expectation. Some of the players are young enough to play next year too.
Andy, everyone in the team is young enough to play next year! Technically we could have put out a Glorney team which was U13 that would have been as strong as the team we put out
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Congratulations. Scotland did what all the titled players over the last 58 years - GMs McNab, Motwani, Rowson and several IMs could not do - win the Glorney Cup.
Although the playing room was indeed off bounds to all but arbiters and players, as one of the 1965 team that last won the Glorney that year, I felt duty bound to spend all of today following play and chatting to players and parents in the comfortable outside spaces and in the dedicated team playing/analsysis rooms. Thoroughly enjoyable!

That lengthy 58 year 'record' is one I (and several others of that 1965 team, with whom I am still frequently in touch) am (are) certainly more than happy to be relieved of!. Well done to the Scotland Glorney team and indeed to all the members of the Gilbert, Robinson and Stokes teams. This was yet another highly competitive Glorney Festival and one played by all of the teams from the four home countries in the friendliest and most enthusiastic spirit.

A huge thank you also to all of those organisers, who quietly worked hard in the background to ensure that the event ran without hitch.
Thanks Craig

I mentioned to one of our Glorney winners that they are going to go down in Scottish Chess history just like our 1965 team. His response was "Why? We are going to win the next ten in a row!!"
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"