Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Funding - Scottish Government Grant
Photo 
We need more chess funding. I have written to my MSP Dame Jackie Baillie who will write to the Scottish Government and will be back in touch when they respond.

This link shows what we received in the 1980s

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/19...ssociation

The Scottish Chess Association has received grant as follows:
The Scottish Chess Association has received grant as follows:

£
1983–84
[size=1]1
1984–85
1985–86
1986–87
1987–88
1988–89
1 Of which £6,550 was for travel costs.
2 Of which £6,550 was for travel costs.
3 Of which £5,775 was for travel costs.
4 Of which £5,775 was for travel costs.
[/size]

£
1983–84
[size=1]1
1984–85
1985–86
1986–87
1987–88
1988–89
1 Of which £6,550 was for travel costs.
2 Of which £6,550 was for travel costs.
3 Of which £5,775 was for travel costs.
4 Of which £5,775 was for travel costs.
[/size]
Harry Marron was on Radio Scotland yesterday 10.50-11.00 talking about the benefits of chess in Scotland
Scottish Government have written back saying they will not provide any chess funding due to cost constraints.
Dear Jackie,

Thank you for your letter dated 10 August 2023 on behalf of your constituent Mr Andrew Muir, regarding

Scottish Government funding to support Chess in Scotland.

We recognise that chess is a great way for people of all ages to develop and improve cognitive skills,

as well as number of other benefits.

I understand the UK Government announced investment of  £1million for chess, including £500,000 to

the English Chess Federation (ECF) over a two-year period.  However, I am afraid due to current

pressures on Scottish Government budgets, we have no immediate plans to support Chess Scotland.

Your constituent may like to consider if
National Lottery Community Fund
may be an option for funding

support.

Yours sincerely

Christina McKelvie
(06-09-2023, 07:56 AM)amuir Wrote: Scottish Government have written back saying they will not provide any chess funding due to cost constraints.
Dear Jackie,

This is news to me!

The position with Barnett funding is still being investigated - and may take some time to become clear.

We have also had promises of support in raising funding whether or not govt funding is available.
Andy
I really would love to know which Chess Scotland official the government have written back to, Andy, personally I cant comment but I understand the communications from the Scottish Government have been very positive and I would personally would like to thank all who are directly involved in an official capacity in this and Alex as President is speaking as an authority. Speculation by those not directly involved is certainly not helpful and inaccurate to say the least.
I wish you would leave speaking to MSP's to those who are in communication in an official capacity. They are at least making significant progress in my opinion. Alex is the one who has all the information and communication in this endeavour and should be supported in this.
Ian

You said
Quote "I wish you would leave speaking to MSP's to those who are in communication in an official capacity"

However did the News Item, regarding the Emergency Executive Committee Meeting, not actually encourage members to just what Andy was trying to do
Quote "Members may wish to write to the local MSPs. If doing so we suggest that they include the points indicated in the minutes."
https://www.chessscotland.com/news/emerg...e-meeting/

I'm a little confused by the mixed messages in the two quotes.
(06-09-2023, 08:28 AM)Alex McFarlane Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 07:56 AM)amuir Wrote: Scottish Government have written back saying they will not provide any chess funding due to cost constraints.
Dear Jackie,

This is news to me!

The position with Barnett funding is still being investigated - and may take some time to become clear.

We have also had promises of support in raising funding whether or not govt funding is available.

(07-09-2023, 01:24 PM)Jim Webster Wrote: Ian

You said
Quote "I wish you would leave speaking to MSP's to those who are in communication in an official capacity"

However did the News Item, regarding the Emergency Executive Committee Meeting, not actually encourage members to just what Andy was trying to do
Quote "Members may wish to write to the local MSPs. If doing so we suggest that they include the points indicated in the minutes."
https://www.chessscotland.com/news/emerg...e-meeting/

I'm a little confused by the mixed messages in the two quotes.

great point Jim, I stand corrected. The message i was trying to get across is certainly raise the mater with your MP but any response should go to the executive committee as any individual response may not be indicative of the overall picture, I was just a wee bit exasperated that Andy's post suggested an official line by the Scottish Government which is I believe is not representative of the government but an individual position.