Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New constitution
andyburnett Wrote:No idea if it worked/works this way, but sounds plausible and not obviously a good state of affairs?!

Hi Andy, I suppose an alternative would be to have adults vote on adult matters and juniors (or guardians) vote on junior matters? Both voting on matters that affect both (i.e. President, constitution etc)? I suppose the trouble with that is that you potentially miss out on really good input from adults on junior matters and vice versa?

Phil Thomas Wrote:Many will have seen how other youth organisations operate. Many will already have PVG disclosure and be able to help by being experienced chaperones.

That gave me pause for thought Phil and it's a really good point, as well as helping to run my son's school chess club this year, I'm a PVG'd beaver leader for the Scouts association. I think there is a ton of good practice in Scouting that could be useful to any organisation working with young people, specifically around the recruitment of volunteers, parental engagement and training (for example, I recently attended a child safeguarding course). I'm happy to share more but don't want to derail the thread.
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
John Dempsey Wrote:I would have no issue with this, if, the same views were expressed to the CS membership directly and so give a right of reply. I would ask that what was put on facebook today be published on this noticeboard as It does, after all, begin, " To all Chess Scotland Members" yet there will be many who are CS members who will not see this on facebook.

HI john
good to hear from you. Chess Scotland has no right to as to comment what is put on Facebook nor would we wish to do so. However we would not wish to have anything potentially detrimental about Chess Scotland on the Chess Scotland website. So far it has been positive and it should remain so. If the Facebook page is the one I am thinking of then that organisation has respected my direct wish not to post anything of that ilk on the Chess Scotland forum. That in itself has to be respected. Since this thread has been put on the public section of the forum, the moderators are keeping vigilance and will have to act if the threads turn to a darker vein
An SGM at 1030 on a Tuesday morning is really quite ridiculous. Are we really a club for students, pensioners and the unemployed only? Perhaps it should be added to the constitution that AGM/SGMs should be scheduled outside working hours e.g. at a weekend. Surprised this needs to be said though Sad

Anyway, having said that and having just read the proposed constitution I'd say it all seems fine to me. Perhaps a little convoluted for such a small organisation as Craig mentions but I assume individuals can wear multiple hats so OK.

I am particularly pleased to see the statement "Selection of individuals and/or teams who will represent Scotland in international competition is the sole responsibility of the appropriate board of selectors. " This embodies the idea that a director's role is to facilitate a process as opposed to be the personal team selector - I am sure many board readers remember the problems we have had with this in recent past, so it is good to see this clarified.
Ian,

Thank you for explaining!

John
George Neave Wrote:I am particularly pleased to see the statement "Selection of individuals and/or teams who will represent Scotland in international competition is the sole responsibility of the appropriate board of selectors. " This embodies the idea that a director's role is to facilitate a process as opposed to be the personal team selector - I am sure many board readers remember the problems we have had with this in recent past, so it is good to see this clarified.
George,
not as clear as you think when you look at the new structure.

From the structure who do you think will create the board of selectors for adult international events?

Would it be
(a) The adult international director
(b) The holder of the new position ----- Executive Director of Chess. For whom the Adult International Director will be working
© The holder of the new position ---- Selection Board Director. Who confusingly will be working for teh holder of the new position Executive Operations Director
(d) The Executive Committee in our of their frequent meetings

The answer to my question will be contained within the job descriptions.

Maybe Jim Webster can tell you the answer from the current draft versions of these critically important documents.
Phil Thomas Wrote:From the structure who do you think will create the board of selectors for adult international events?Would it be(a) The adult international director(b) The holder of the new position ----- Executive Director of Chess. For whom the Adult International Director will be working© The holder of the new position ---- Selection Board Director. Who confusingly will be working for teh holder of the new position Executive Operations Director(d) The Executive Committee in our of their frequent meetings

it's C (I believe) One advantage of this is that the International director would be available for selection. Presently there is controversy if he picks himself for selection or as non playing captain. The disadvantage of this in hindsight is that the international directors (adult) role would possible become redundant as his/her other roles are mainly admin and would consequently fall under the admin director's role. I also believe the international junior director's role is different as he/she also has the mandate to promote chess. I am assuming the selection director would organise the selection of picking the junior teams as well as the adult teams
Thanks for that clarification Ian,

I have a simpler question for anyone in the know to answer.
Why has the post of Honorary president disappeared?

(a) Typo in Constitution
(b) Typo in list of changes

I always thought being given post of Honorary President was a way of thanking Lord Kirkwood for his generous sponsorship. Always a wise policy to show gratitude to your sponsors past and present.
Phil

re Honorary President

An honorary title or title of honor is a title bestowed upon individuals or organizations as an award in recognition of their merits.
Sometimes the title bears the same or nearly the same name as a title of authority, but the person bestowed does not have to carry any duties, possibly except for ceremonial ones.

What has been done is removed the position from that of "Office Bearer" which under the Constitution is electable at an AGM. This position is, and always should be, conferred (appointed) by Chess Scotland. The holder should also be identified on formal communications particularly to external bodies and even on the front page of the Chess Scotland Website
Jim,

so both a and b are correct

(a) Because the post of Honorary President should be recorded in the constitution. If its not there then it does not exist.
(b) Because the list of changes omitted to mention that the agm will no longer be asked to endorse, on an annual basis, Lord KIrkwood's position. I would like to insert here a quote in blue from the minutes of the 2014 agm but unfortunately those minutes are not yet published.

Are there any plans in hand to proof read the proposed constitution properly before the sgm? To do so would save a lot of time on the day.
Phil Thomas Wrote:(a) Because the post of Honorary President should be recorded in the constitution. If its not there then it does not exist.

I'm not sure that's quite true Phil. There post is an Honorarium and is a conferred honour. A simple motion at an AGM to do this is all that is required. Just because it is not in the Constitution does not mean that It cannot exist. That has already happened and I do not see the need to re-elect this every year.

Phil Thomas Wrote:(b) Because the list of changes omitted to mention that the agm will no longer be asked to endorse, on an annual basis, Lord KIrkwood's position. I would like to insert here a quote in blue from the minutes of the 2014 agm but unfortunately those minutes are not yet published.
I'm not getting dragged into this one !

Phil Thomas Wrote:Are there any plans in hand to proof read the proposed constitution properly before the sgm? To do so would save a lot of time on the day.

No comment - yet!!!
but watch this space, and maybe somewhere else too. Don't hold your breath though----

Wink