Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keti in Women's World Championship
Keti Arakhamia-Grant is taking part in this 64-player knockout event starting today in Sochi.

Live games, pairings, results, etc can be found here

http://sochi2015.fide.com/en/component/c...live-games

Her 1st round opponent is GM Hoang Thanh Trang, rated 2475, from Hungary.

Good luck Keti! Smile
It's interesting - though not necessarily good for your chess improvement! - watching the game with 3 engines 'commenting' on the position as it unfolds.

After 14...Qc5 I simply couldn't work out why Houdini didn't have the most natural move (15.Ne2, which Keti played) in its sights (first 4 choices) at all?

The current position at move 24 seems to favour Keti slightly (Houdini has it at 0.00, Komodo at +0.19 and Stockfish at +0.26) although I personally can't see a way to make progress.

I take it no-one else has the day off from work? Big Grin Never mind, I'll keep you all updated!
Almost a dream ending now (move 33) for Keti; active pieces, static weaknesses to aim at, better king - only slight problem is the clock but I think she can push for the win from here if she reaches the time control ok.
and... Keti wins Smile An excellent victory, taking advantage of her opponent's attempt to make something out of nothing in the endgame.

Keti will be Black tomorrow in the mini-match - a draw (or another win obviously) would see her through to the last 32.
Excellent stuff - cheers for highlighting this Andy!
Game 2 is live just now and Keti, only needing a draw to proceed to the next round, has eschewed her favourite King's Indian Defence for the safer climes of a Queen's Gambit Declined.

The Carlsbad structure which has arisen is generally considered slightly easier for white, but Keti has met white's queenside minority attack with aggression on the king-side and is holding the balance at the moment (move 23).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sochi2015.fide.com/en/component/content/article/133-live-games">http://sochi2015.fide.com/en/component/ ... live-games</a><!-- m -->
After a long hard-fought endgame, Keti secured the draw she needed to advance to the last 32. Well done!
Despite the apparently almost total lack of interest on here (Hugh Brechin's contribution notwithstanding-thanks Hugh) I'll carry on bringing Keti's World Championship (!) progress to you all!

Her 'round of 32' mini-match against Sweden's Pia Cramling began today. A very solid draw ensued, although in the final (drawish) position Keti could have played on a bit, if only to tire out her older opponent!

Tomorrow sees Keti playing with the Black pieces. A win puts her through to the last 16, a loss sees her out of the competition, and another draw would invoke a day of rapid-play, blitz and possibly Armageddon play-offs! To see the disaster's which can strike in the play-offs take a look at today's ChessBase report :O
Loss for keti !!

Andy this forum is not ideal for these kind of updates - I think there is a demand for decent scottish chess updates via Twitter or facebook - even links to here - but we would need an open forum section
Alex Gillies Wrote:Loss for keti !!

Andy this forum is not ideal for these kind of updates - I think there is a demand for decent scottish chess updates via Twitter or facebook - even links to here - but we would need an open forum section

I enjoyed the updates. Thanks Andy. Shame it's over.

It continues to be a mystery to me how a seemingly microscopic edge in these symmetric QGD positions can feel so unpleasant for the defender. The engine was saying it was just small edge but by move 21 I would have wanted to resign as it's just so depressing to defend this sort of position.